OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Painting the Turkey Gun

Started by BOFF, March 05, 2011, 03:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

I got tired of the M2 being all back, so I did this, last week. It's still drying. I prepped with acetone. Used flat paint in below colors, and natural stencils. Taped around the EoTech lenses.  Originally I painted the pistol grip and rubber butt pad. They remained sticky after about 2 hours of drying, so I cleaned them off with acetone, left the paint streaks, and taped the grip and butt pad up to finish painting.

I layered paint with desert tan first, coating the whole gun in this color. Allowed to dry.
Then earth brown,sprayed over the natural stencils. Allowed to dry.
Then olive drab sprayed over stencils.

I tried flat black, and gray, and actually redid the side again with the first three colors again, as I didn't like it with black and grey.

Here are the original pics of the gun, etc.

Overall cost was around $15.00 for 3 cans of paint. I already had the acetone, tape, etc.

I'm real happy with the look, but I'm not real happy with the durability, at this point in the week's drying process.
The paint scratches, leaving lines, though they are easily rubbed out.  I don't want to add a clear coat, as it will be too shiny in my opinion.
I'll will have to see how it holds up.

God Bless,
David B.

gatrkyhntr70

For a protective coat you can get a acrylic matte clear coat.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

BOFF

Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on March 05, 2011, 03:19:17 PM
For a protective coat you can get a acrylic matte clear coat.

Who makes this?

I talked to a friend in the paint business, and I believe, he reported he still thinks it will be too shiny for my liking.

God Bless,
David B.

paladin

I think it will be too shiny also.Looks good.

I used a cotton cloth to dab paint runs from a gun and noticed it gave texture to the surface.
This really cut down on the shine.
I would not worry about durability.
"have gun-will travel"

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

renegade19

reynolds243

just to add, i did my rifle the same way last year but used a sea sponge for the finishing touches. I got a test can of paint from lowes (the small ones for like 2.59) and dipped the sponge in it then dabbed it on my gun. If you use 2 colors doing it it turns out very cool.

anyways just another way to try it next time.

Boomstick

A matte clear will work fine just don't lay down too many layers. And if you do end up with it a little shiny just sand it real light with some light sand paper. That's how I did my 22 a few years ago and it still looks good
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

deadbuck

Looks good.I have thought about doing the same thing.Can you remove the paint later if you decide to go back to black?

knightrider

headshot870

Nice job..."Kylon camo" rocks! Been doing it to my weapons since the 80's.

BOFF

Quote from: deadbuck on March 05, 2011, 08:58:23 PM
Looks good.I have thought about doing the same thing.Can you remove the paint later if you decide to go back to black?

I would think acetone and some time would do the trick, but I'm not going to find out anytime soon.  :lol:

God Bless,
David B.

Update: 2/29/2012

Held up fine. A few scratches here and there, but nothing the turkeys noticed.

God Bless,
David B.

lmbhngr

I did my son`s gun last year on a black synthetic. Wiped it all down with acetone. painted it, and let it dry overnight. You can see some places where it`s starting to chip off already. Good thing is I think it will clean off easy if we wanted to redo

RustySap