turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hophornbeam BURL (IRONWOOD) (pics)

Started by harvester, March 05, 2011, 01:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

I have a burl out of this type of tree. At least I think that is what it is. I do know that it is a very hard wood. You could probably get 3 or 4 calls out of it. Would anyone be interested in making me a call out of this and you keeping the rest of what is left? It has been inside for over a year. If anyone is interested in doing this just send me a PM. Maybe we could work some out.

Bonjour

Possibly, but I don't think it will be dry enough for a call this year. Pics of it will also help a lot to know the shape and size we are dealing with. Is it still whole or cut into blanks, if it is whole, it won't be dry enough this year for sure, but if it is sliced into 1 inch pieces it should be. Hope this helps you out.
      Ryan

harvester

Quote from: Bonjour on March 05, 2011, 01:56:53 PM
Possibly, but I don't think it will be dry enough for a call this year. Pics of it will also help a lot to know the shape and size we are dealing with. Is it still whole or cut into blanks, if it is whole, it won't be dry enough this year for sure, but if it is sliced into 1 inch pieces it should be. Hope this helps you out.
     Ryan

Never mind, I sliced it up and it had several bad spots on it.

harvester

Would it be better to find out how the inside is before I go any further with this. 1 1/4 thick be to thick or about right if I was to slice it?

Bonjour

That would be fine. Some times the bad spots can be dealt with depending on how big they are. Slice it up and get some pics to show. That would help out a lot.

harvester

Quote from: Bonjour on March 05, 2011, 05:59:54 PM
That would be fine. Some times the bad spots can be dealt with depending on how big they are. Slice it up and get some pics to show. That would help out a lot.

Just found out it is also referred to as IRONWOOD.

harvester

Does it make good sounding calls?
How about strikers?