OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anything to slow down an arrow?

Started by Hhayes6, February 22, 2013, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hhayes6

I shoot a Mathews heli-m 70# pull and might break the crossbow out when I'm not in a blind. Anything you guys do to prevent a quick pass through? I have read so much where you want to deliver as much thump or K.E. as you can. Seen several people use dull blades, put washers in between arrow and broad head. Any more ideas?

birdyhunter

Why would you want to slow the arrow down? Slower arrows don't equal more ke. The right combo of speed and weight will produce the most amount of ke. They have calculators for this kind of thing. Play around with your dw and arrow combos till you get the desired ke.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Hhayes6

Sorry I did not mean slow arrow down technically. I have just read people putting washers or "grabbers" in between the arrow and broad head so it doesnt just ice pick right through it without delivering all the energy the arrow had.

o2stk1

I shoot 100gr swackers and the go tru like butter but man they kill

fallhnt

Most of my arrows pass-through every bird I shoot and most die in-sight.I've shot them with mechanical heads and fixed heads with no need to slow-r-down and leave the arrow in the bird.I haven't used a stopper sence the early 90's.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Hhayes6

:z-guntootsmiley: thanks guys! Was hoping I was not going to have to spend more $!

30_06

As with all other game I prefer pass thru's so I do not put anything additional on the arrow to hinder penetration.

drenalinld

I prefer a pass through as well. Turkeys are tougher than most think. I don't always get a pass through. Fun stuff.

irishff727

As stated KE is the key factor. Took me a lil while before I found the right arrow and broad head combo to deliver the right punch. I have never shot a bird before with the bow but I have shot deer and I prefer not to have pass thru with a fixed broad head. The idea is to h e the arrow go in mad of they run shred the insides. A lot of guys while disagree saying no pass thru doesn't give you a blood trail or allow blood to drain out. But I haven't not recovered a deer yet and I have only ever had about 4 pass through a and they were my longest tracking jobs

GSLAM95

The small game stoppers are for just that "small game".  Turkey do not and should not fall into this mythical category as they are a very dense object that I shoot the same thing as I do for whitetail as for bow set-up as I do for Whitetail.

If your shooting for the body I highly recommend the NAP F.O.C.'s as they are a 3" cut mechanical specifically designed for turkey hunting.  Since field testing them 2yrs ago I have downed many birds with them since.  Killed a pile of birds with many other heads over the years but this is the best I have seen to date!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

mossyoakpro

Quote from: GSLAM95 on February 28, 2013, 11:50:10 PM
The small game stoppers are for just that "small game".  Turkey do not and should not fall into this mythical category as they are a very dense object that I shoot the same thing as I do for whitetail as for bow set-up as I do for Whitetail.

If your shooting for the body I highly recommend the NAP F.O.C.'s as they are a 3" cut mechanical specifically designed for turkey hunting.  Since field testing them 2yrs ago I have downed many birds with them since.  Killed a pile of birds with many other heads over the years but this is the best I have seen to date!

That thing looks like an axe!

Sent from my 8 point bonus bird picture taking device

Phillippians 4:13