OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1300's kick??

Started by killdee, March 05, 2011, 08:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killdee

I often read here and other places how bad the 1300's kick and since thats my only turkey gun, I didnt know it was worse than other pumps. My question is why, is it lighter, stock design or what? Just curious.

VAHUNTER

i dont think it is worse than all other pumps. with a 3" or a 3.5" turkey load they will all rattle you without the right add ons. the 835 is about the worst shotgun for recoil i have found. i added a Limbsaver recoil pad and a Beartooth comb kit and they both helped a lot.
Good things come to those who wait

WildSpur

Ahh...the 1300!

I have one and really dislike it.  If it was not my brothers gun I would have sold it!  It is a light gun with some positive features like the safety position and a non-rattling slide. 

Winchester made the 1300 with a "Speed Pump" feature.  Basically, even the lightest load will assist in ejecting the shell.  So when you shoot, by design you are already cycling the shot as the recoil is kicking your butt.  You are sending more force you way!  This 1300 caused me to get some serious flinching issues.  At the time, I was shooting Winchester HV #6 and a Kicks .655.

I gave up on the gun last year and bought an 835 with a 20" tube.  I grew up with a 500 (never should have sold that gun :().  I did add a Limbsaver Precision fit pad to it (also have a LS pad on the 1300).   IMO the gun is a dream to shoot compared to the 1300.  I only shoot 3" shells though.

Cluck more, yelp less

GOLD HUNTER

1300 DONT KICK .......SHOOT A MOSSY 500 or 835!!!

i put a Limbsaver recoil pad on all my 1300's and its like shooting a B.B.gun now.

brian

1esso

My 1300 dont kick near as bad as a MB, I love mine. I got Browning silver too, put you 3 1/2 2.25 oz 7 and it will knock the taste out your mouth.

killdee

I do have a simm's and a JH ported choke and I never thought it to bad myself and I'm a skinny guy at 6'1" 176. BTW I never saw the need to go bigger, I'm headed back down on my next turkey slayer.

Boomstick

I have a 1300 and I love it, it doesnt kick all that bad to me. Mine has a wood stock and forend and factory but pad. I'm eventually gonna get a limbsaver pad but it's not that bad to me. I had a mb before my 1300 and that thing kicked like a mule.
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

BOFF

Quote from: GOLD HUNTER on March 05, 2011, 09:59:37 AM

i put a Limbsaver recoil pad on all my 1300's and its like shooting a B.B.gun now.

brian

Brian,

A slip over pad, or a pad specifically for the 1300 to replace the factory one?

God Bless,
David B.

paboxcall

My 1300 with synthetic stock kicked like an angry mule with a headache.

As mentioned above, mine with its factory recoil pad would knock the taste out of your mouth.  I put a fitted limbsaver on, and that helped tremendously.  Its still terrible, but they all are with these 3"+ magnum loads.

That said....last bird I dropped with it, I remember thinking, 'that wasn't too bad...'  Never is when the real deal is going down.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Reloader

Been shooting 1300s for a long time and never thought of them as having bad recoil.  Feel the same as any other pump to me.  They all kick with turkey loads.

I've used many diff pumps and the 1300 is the most dependable IME.

GOLD HUNTER

Quote from: BOFF on March 05, 2011, 03:15:09 PM
Quote from: GOLD HUNTER on March 05, 2011, 09:59:37 AM

brian

Brian,

A slip over pad, or a pad specifically for the 1300 to replace the factory one?

God Bless,
David B.

i got one that is specifically for my 1300  synthetic stock