OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mountain turkeys  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Ky Gobbler

Mountain turkeys
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:30 PM »
Would you think hunting turkeys in the mountains would be very different from hunting somewhere flat? Any tips for hunting turkeys around the eastern kentucky area? I've also heard its easer to call a turkey uphill than downhill, is there anything to that? It seems to be true for me.

Offline atoler

Re: Mountain turkeys
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:56:56 PM »
I'm no expert on mountains, but I do hunt some very steep "hills" on occassion. Its the same and different at the same time. The basics are the same. But the terrain changes your style. Start high, and work your way down. Try to always set up above a bird, or level with it. Shelfs or ridge tops are good spots. The thing that always gets me is how far off you can hear a bird, he may be 600yds accross a valley, that would take you 30 minutes to get accross, yet he sounds like hes right on top of you.

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »
I like the mountains and hills.  For me and my buds we have had great success calling birds downhill.  What I really like about the mountains is the anatomy of the land.  Once you get to know the area you now have a good plan for a hung-up bird and the terrain can help you re-position without being detected. 

Cluck more, yelp less

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »
I have experience hunting both mountains and flat bottom land.  While turkeys are turkeys, I think the hunting can be quite a bit different.  Challenges with both, but from a geography standpoint I personally think mountains are easier to hunt for the most part, because the terrain can be utilized to your advantage.  Judging distance of a gobbling turkey is usually much easier in the mountains. 

Offline strut2

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:30:56 PM »
I hunt both mountains and flat land. I don't prefer one or the other its all turkey hunting to me. But with the mountain birds I always try to be above them or at the same level. I usually prefer to be above the bird on the mountains. Reason being last year I was hunting the mountain and struck a hot bird and set up on the same level as him. When he was working his way in, he got above me and hung up. Eventually he moved on and I swung way out around him and got above him and 10 minutes after being set up he was dead. I have had birds come downhill to me and been successful but if I can get above him or at least at the same level I will everytime.

Offline VooDooMagic

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »
Ambush from above, stalk from below...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:28:40 PM by VooDooMagic »

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
Ambush form above, stalk from below...

:agreed:

That sums it up very nicely. 

Ridges give you the option to move obscured to get where he wants to go.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline appalachianstruttstopper

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:08:36 AM »
Use the terrain to your advantage and don't try to call a gobbler toward the sun. Hillsides. and mountains can make them hang up easier when they can't circle around to get a visual advantage.