OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossy Oak Gun Graphic Kit  (Read 12297 times)

Offline 870FaceLift

• The Boss Gobbler
Mossy Oak Gun Graphic Kit
« on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
Last Monday, I ordered a Mossy Oak graphic kit in Obsession for a Franchi Affinity 20g that I picked up.  The Affinity was black synthetic, so I thought $24.99 was worth the gamble over having it dipped for several hundred.  The Mossy Oak graphics team had the kit to my door in 4 business days.  Upon initial inspection, the kit didn't appear overly impressive.  However, once I dug in, I was quite impressed.

I knew I had a little spare time this past weekend, so I was going to really see how good I could get this thing to come out.  I started off by disassembling the gun and using a mild degreaser to cleanse the portions of the gun that would be covered.  There's a new product out from the "Goo-Gone" folks that is for use on finished metals.  It works quite well and is gentle on your firearm's finish.

I let the gun dry after cleaning it several times.  I then gathered an x-acto knife and my wife's blow dryer.  I didn't have a heat gun, but found that the blow dryer we had worked plenty good enough to mold the decals and activate the adhesive.  I don't think a heat gun is necessary, but others may feel the need.  As Mossy Oak advertises, the adhesive on the decals is easy to peel and reapply if you make a placement mistake.  It also doesn't appear to leave any residue.  I know this because I peeled it off several times to better place it.  It does take hold once heated.  The kit comes with pieces cut in general sizes for your barrel, receiver, stock, and foreend.  Some cutting will be necessary, but nothing extensive.  This gun, being a semi-auto, probably required more adaptation than your typical pump.  Still, no biggie if you take your time. 

Call me crazy, but I actually found this enjoyable.  Sure, it took some time, but I'm quite pleased with the finished product.  Had I not told my wife about the project, I probably would've been harrassed for picking up a "new" shotgun.

If you're on the fence and looking for a Saturday project to hold you over for Spring, pick one of these up!

Pass it on...

Offline WyoHunter

• Double Beard
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Mossy Oak Gun Graphic Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:12:40 PM »
Thanks for the report! Great job!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Offline hosscat

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:09:44 AM »
I used the exact same kit on my Win. 1300 syn.  I was extremely pleased with the results, this will be my first season hunting with it which will be the true test.

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the review - ordered mine yesterday.

Offline willy8457

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
Put them on my new Stoeger, Pretty impressed with the way it came out. And I'm sure if I ever do another one it will come out even better.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »
That looks great. Nice job......

Offline wild1

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »
I did my rem 870 with the mossy break-up pattern and was pleased with how it turned out.

Offline Thomas6689

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
when you put each side on did you just let it overlap or cut it exactly to fit?

Offline chrisg2709

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
That looks awesome

Offline 870FaceLift

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
Thank you guys for all of the compliments.  I just ordered a bottomland kit for another project.  Maybe I'll post up some pics of it upon completion.
Pass it on...

Offline KYStalker

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
Please do.  I'm looking forward to seeing the bottomland go on.  Let us know how well it holds up to repeated trips to the woods.
If you're not first, your last!!

Offline Hooks' n' Beards'

• Cuttin n' Struttin
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 10:22:30 PM »
that looks great,i am getting 2 kits as i want to do my black winchester 1300 in bottomland camo and i plan on doing my Nef single shot in either Obsession camo or break up camo...

Offline DTW2

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
Did you cut it at seems or overlap? and how did you do it around the contours of the stock handle?  :popcorn:

Offline CntrlPA

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »
Any updates on how well the camo kits are holding up to some abuse?

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
Rossi .410 combo
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 11:34:24 PM »
I put one on my son's .410 last year and it lasted all season.

Its really nice and holds on really tight.  Its a great product and the customer service is phenomenal!

Sent from my Windows Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge