turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recoil reducer ideas for mossberg 535

Started by WickedBama, February 16, 2013, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WickedBama

I have shot many different rifles,shotguns,military.
I don't think i have ever felt anything like the wrath of a mossberg 535 turkey thug
Benelli nova not even a comparison and its a beast in its own 
Live For It!

WildSpur

Without getting a stock like a knoxx or a different recoil pad you will have to exert more force on your slide towards your target.  That is 30% right there.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

WickedBama

:anim_25:never thought of trying that but I will now
Live For It!

Deputy 14

Knoxx stock or a sims recoil pad. Or both.

Neill_Prater

Try using 3 inch shells. Most likely the turkeys will never know the difference!  ;)

30_06

Pachmayr or Sims recoil pad, and something like the Bear comb raising kit will work well. Porting the barrel may help slightly, but it will also make the gun a lot louder.
While the Knoxx recoil reducing stock will work, I am not a fan on the Mossberg due to the top tang safety.

FullChoke

Remove the sling off of it and put it on an 870! Shoot it and not worry about detaching your retinas!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mightyjoeyoung

The 535 is a gun that should never have been born imo.  It is nothing more than a stretched model 500 and with 3.5" loads it is nothing short of brutal on your cheek and shoulder...even more than an 870 because it weighs less.  The only pump guns Mossberg should even worry about is the 835 and the 500 and its variants.  The 535 was a gun for a niche` that didn't need to be filled in the first place.  Kind of like Hevi Metal Turkey.   ::)  Shoot 3" loads in it like the 500 should use in the first place (again nothing more than a long frame 500!!), Put a limbdsaver pad on it and pick up either a shim kit, a neoprene stock sleeve or both...that or just trade it in for a model 500 so you won't be tempted to run those roman candles in a gun that wasn't meant to shoot them in the first place.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

captin_hook

Set of leaf springs might help. Add in a full facemask football helmet with a bull ring and you're good to go! :toothy12:

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: captin_hook on February 17, 2013, 02:33:41 PM
Set of leaf springs might help. Add in a full facemask football helmet with a bull ring and you're good to go! :toothy12:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

chatterbox

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 17, 2013, 03:59:25 PM
Quote from: captin_hook on February 17, 2013, 02:33:41 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Then leave that beast in the gun safe!
I sold mine, and got an 835. I have never been kicked so hard in my life! Glad I got rid of it.

whiskey

Do you ladies shoot much? The 535 ain't that bad. :)

Everyone needs to shoot one now and then to knock the demons out of their brains.

I don't enjoy practicing with 3.5, but I don't notice the kick in the woods. I like carrying the 535 way more than others. I put a sims pad on mine and that helped a lot.

mcgruff1533

Shoot 3" hevishot loads.    Hevi is loaded to 1090 fps instead of the typical 1200 to 1300 fps for lead.    This will significantly reduce the recoil force and should pattern nice as well.    I have run both 3.5 and 3 inch shells in my 535 and find the 3" loads outperform the 3.5" shells despite a lighter payload.

captin_hook

Yeah, I was shooting win high velocity 3.5 inch 2.25 ounce #5s. It was absolutely brutal to shoot with that load. Hurt the face more than anything.

WickedBama

Quote from: whiskey on February 17, 2013, 07:22:44 PM
Do you ladies shoot much? The 535 ain't that bad. :)

Everyone needs to shoot one now and then to knock the demons out of their brains.

I don't enjoy practicing with 3.5, but I don't notice the kick in the woods. I like carrying the 535 way more than others. I put a sims pad on mine and that helped a lot.

LoL. whiskey must be imortal or never shoots anything other than a 535 cause its deffinatly the hardest kicking gun on the market and i shoot a 300rum frequently
Live For It!