OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

cherry logs

Started by iowascott78, March 04, 2011, 10:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iowascott78

Three years ago my father passed away (the same year I started turkey hunting).  Last year I had to cut down the cherry tree my father and I planted when I was a little kid because it split at the trunk.  I saved three pieces of the tree about 5-6" in diameter and 4-5' long.  My question is can a pot call be made from a section of this?  The logs have been outside under my deck since I cut down the tree and I haven't noticed any cracks but is has been awhile since I last looked at them.  I would love to get a call made from this wood for sentimental reasons.  What do you think?  Thanks

West Augusta

That would be a great tribute to your dad. Plus, he would be there with you on every hunting trip.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

handcannon

You should be able to pull something from them. Try to get the wood ripped into rough call blanks. For pot calls try to get the wood cut 4x4x1 inch. Strikers 1"x8" at least. Seal the end grain with wax, wood sealer, paint etc. to keep it from cracking further. Store it in a nice dry place until it is dry enough to turn. Cherry makes some awesome calls wether it be pots, boxes, tubes or whatever. Find you someone to turn the call and maybe personalize it with a picture under the glass or some woodburning. Make a nice family keepsake. The longer you keep them under your deck the less chance you have of turning them into a call.

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: handcannon on March 05, 2011, 03:36:15 AM
You should be able to pull something from them. Try to get the wood ripped into rough call blanks. For pot calls try to get the wood cut 4x4x1 inch. Strikers 1"x8" at least. Seal the end grain with wax, wood sealer, paint etc. to keep it from cracking further. Store it in a nice dry place until it is dry enough to turn. Cherry makes some awesome calls wether it be pots, boxes, tubes or whatever. Find you someone to turn the call and maybe personalize it with a picture under the glass or some woodburning. Make a nice family keepsake. The longer you keep them under your deck the less chance you have of turning them into a call.

That's what I was thinking. If you have a nice picture of you and your dad, or just your dad, or whatever, it would be a really awesome keepsake. The website Zazzle.com lets you make 3" stickers that fit perfectly on a 3" soundboard. There are other ways to make the stickers too of course.

If you could at least get two blanks- one to make a pic call out of for display and one to make a call (pic or otherwise) to use hunting- I think that would be awesome.

Cut*N*Run

Def not trying to advertise here, but if you haven't seen what a call with a picture in it looks like this is one I made for a friend. He didn't want the glass on top scratched for playing.

iowascott78

Thanks guys you all have been helpful and i like the picture idea too.  

handcannon

Here's one I made to put on my brothers cross after he passed away. Believe it or not, this has been sitting on his cross for two years and has not faded.