turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

After The Shot??

Started by MAKEemQUIVER, February 13, 2013, 09:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAKEemQUIVER

Ive always been a shotgun man but going with the Hoyt this spring. My question is how do you guys approach recovery of a bird when you don't see the bird go down? Do you give the bird time, go after him quick? Is there usually a blood trail or no? Appreciate any help!!
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

drenalinld

Blood trails are poor at best. I go quickly. I think the best way to find him is to hear the dying flops.

30_06

I am the opposite. After the shot if it wanders off I prefer to sit still and wait. If not hit well I have found that more often than not they do not go far (maybe 30 yards) and bed down till expiring.

Blood trails are usually poor or non existent.

turkeyhunter91

i prefer head or neck shots the last few i have killed that is where i shot them and i have seen em go down from where i sat, the tom i shot last spring only flopped a few times and dropped where he stood but there was only a small piece of skin holding on his head. i use 2 blade rage and there is usually just a small piece holding there head or neck on. hope this helps

fallhnt

I too shoot Rage. All but one of the birds I shot this fall died in sight using 2 blade heads to the vitals.If the bird gets out of sight i wait about an hour before looking.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

K9Doc

With a well placed shot, he won't go far. If u push him, he will get away. Like a gut shot deer, wait and he will bed down close by if not pressured.
Honestly, u should look into Magnus Bullheads or Gobbler Guillotine. I wish traditional heads were outlawed. Way to many killed and never recovered. Just my 2 cents.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.