turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

pattern ????

Started by gooblnfever, March 04, 2011, 07:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooblnfever

i have got a 870 turkey /waterfowl in bottomland camo  new last year with 26 in barrel had a jellyhead .665 that came apart and now have a .660 rhino with that said i have shot the 3 1/2 mag blend with 141 at 40 yds and with nitros h517t with 179 at 40 yds.with all these good patterns going around what is going on with my rig.i have cleaned and polished my barrel and chokes and nothing seems to work.i know the .660 is a little bit tight for the h517t but they were already on the way.any help would be great

SKFOOTER

I have the same gun and my Jellyhead .660 puts close to 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with both the 3" and 3.5" Hevi-13 #7's.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: gooblnfever on March 04, 2011, 07:23:45 PM
i have got a 870 turkey /waterfowl in bottomland camo  new last year with 26 in barrel had a jellyhead .665 that came apart and now have a .660 rhino with that said i have shot the 3 1/2 mag blend with 141 at 40 yds and with nitros h517t with 179 at 40 yds.with all these good patterns going around what is going on with my rig.i have cleaned and polished my barrel and chokes and nothing seems to work.i know the .660 is a little bit tight for the h517t but they were already on the way.any help would be great

I would recommend that you try some 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. You may be surprised at the patterns from that shell.

I shoot a number of 870s and find that the 26" barrel is just about the perfect length. I also shoot a variety of chokes, different brands and exit diameters. If your .660 Rhino, a fine choke tube by the way, does not work, I'd recommend that you try a choke with a tighter e.d.

Lastly, just to be sure, you are shooting at "big paper" at least 3 feet x 3 feet and circling the best 10" pattern on that paper, correct?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BOFF

2 7/16 oz shot is an awful lot. It may be pushing too much shot through that small of choke and barrel constriction.

Just my thoughts.

God Bless,
David B.

hookedspur

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 04, 2011, 08:03:34 PM
I have the same gun and my Jellyhead .660 puts close to 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with both the 3" and 3.5" Hevi-13 #7's.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gooblnfever

yes im shooting a 4x4 cardboard im going to order the h510c nitro 2 1/4 oz # 7 on moday it is just puzzling the heck out of me

SKFOOTER

Save yourself some money and just buy a Jellyhead .660 and some Hevi-13 #7's.

gooblnfever

i had a jellyhead that was destroyed after shooting some mag blends  so i wont shoot another.even with a cousin on the primos hunting team that can get to me for free where the first one came from just dont wont to take the chance again

thanks

4nwtf

I have an 870 sm 26" barrel with the rhino .660 shooting nitro h517t.  My patterns are much better than what you are getting.  That being said,  when I bought the gun last year first thing was a trip to my gunsmith: trigger job, forcing cone, chamber work, and polished barrel.  Maybe some additional work will improve yours.  Good luck

SKFOOTER

Quote from: gooblnfever on March 04, 2011, 08:48:42 PM
i had a jellyhead that was destroyed after shooting some mag blends  so i wont shoot another.even with a cousin on the primos hunting team that can get to me for free where the first one came from just dont wont to take the chance again

thanks
I would have to fault the load and not the Jellyhead choke.   Exactly what happened to the choke.

Gobble!

Quote from: gooblnfever on March 04, 2011, 08:48:42 PM
i had a jellyhead that was destroyed after shooting some mag blends  so i wont shoot another.even with a cousin on the primos hunting team that can get to me for free where the first one came from just dont wont to take the chance again

thanks

any pictures?

gooblnfever

im not knocking the jellyhead im one of primos biggest fans.

[attachment deleted by admin]

gooblnfever

another from inside the choke

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gobble!

great pictures thanks for the information

tnturkeykiller

Quote from: gooblnfever on March 06, 2011, 09:55:37 AM
im not knocking the jellyhead im one of primos biggest fans.
Where you shooting the mag blend or Nitros