OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How to make your own Ghillie Suit  (Read 17593 times)

Online Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
How to make your own Ghillie Suit
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »
Ghillie suits if you didt know have been used in Scotland by shepards and game keepers on large estates for over a hundred years . Ghillies were first deployed in combat in 1899 By Lord Lovats special British regiment units in the Boer Wars in S Africa - Today they are deployed by special sniper units world wide - for the record to be set straight it is a  Scottish invention -

How to make your own Ghillie Suit

Ive been using Ghillie suits to hunt gobblers in Florida for near 20 years now , It allows me the ability to set up instantly in any area, without fear of being spotted - there are several drawbacks ..one is the weight , second is the heat produced by the material , third is the material can snag on brush at times

To over come some of this , I use a inside out "Shannons brand" bugtamer suit - it is lightweight , and breathable - the mesh netting allows for material attachment

This is what to get , get them on ebay for cheap

dont get the new version with foam netting--- get the thread netting version ---here is some examples  - buy the one on the right

You need jute burlap , you can stain it yourself with coffee , dye , spray paint - you need to cut the ends off , so you can pull out the strands

If you stain it , dont put it in the wash cycle or dryer , soak it , and air dry the material

You want to pull 2 -3 foot long strands out of the burlap , when you get about 4-8 of them loop them into the bugtamer suit

Sometmes you have to hold one cut end with your foot and tug on it , 1 stand at a time , sometimes you can pull 2 at a time

loop it in

pass it through

knot it , one down 1,000 more to go  :o  it will take about 40 hours to do a quality lightweight ghillie

the pants will need upkeep as thats where the the material tends to wear out , each season you can tougch them up with about 4 hours of work - I use suspenders , and put the pants on first when I am hunting

the inside of a completed Ghillie jacket - it slides on quicker than supermans cape , zip it up , pullover the hood and you are very camoed up

this is the outside of the jacket - you can stain it ," mud it " by throwing it in some mud puddles and air dry it , add natural vegetation - there are some strands of material added in , whatever suits your needs -  this suit goes with me everywhere  I can hunt places totally unthinkable to other turkey hunters , I have layed down in wide open mile long fields with a rolled up shirt as a head rest and killed them this way -  you can alter the material to suit your needs 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:26:18 PM by Old Gobbler »
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline o2stk1

Re: How to make your own Ghillie Suit
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »
are u using the jacket inside out never had one but thought the mesh was on the inside

Online Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »
are u using the jacket inside out never had one but thought the mesh was on the inside
yes , its inside out
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
Nice work,looks great!!My son and i did something similar.We got some digital camo material at a fabric store and had my mom sew a poncho out of it.Then we attached fish netting we got at a craft/hobby store.We then used pretty much the same method that you did for attaching the burlap to the netting.We also cut up some old green t shirts into strips and added that to it to give it a foilage effect.Another good material to use is bailer twine!Easy to work with but fades rather quickly though!I had it made big enough so it fits over my vest and any heavier clothing if the weather is cool.I usually roll it up and put it in my vest pouch when moving around then pull it on when i set up.Thanks for the tips!    ward

Offline MEbeardlover

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:59:42 PM »
Great post, very informative. I completed a similar project last winter, making a ghillie hat. Very same process. Started with a camo boonie hat. Used a nylon basketball net, and I used Shoo-Goo to fasten the net to the hat. After that, it was the burlap process. I used camp burlap, which made it a little easier. (no need to dye.) Then the same tying process. In addition to the burlap strands, I also used some thicker jute twine, which I dyed. The results were very good, but it sure took a while. I can't imagine making the whole suit!

Offline Saylfish

• Longbeard
  • FEAR THE SPEAR >>------;->
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »

Same as oldgobbler. Bug Tamer turned inside out.
IAFF 1377

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:46:29 AM »
Awesome idea. Since I started using a Thermacell I just so happen to have some Bug Tamer clothing stored away.  :icon_thumright:

Offline J Hook

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
Excellent Post! Thanks!

Offline firstflight111

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »
just an FYI  you can but the jute or get fast grass any color you want it's real cheep just have to look around the web .
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

Offline Crueeldude13

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 12:32:57 AM »
Great post!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »
Awesome idea. Since I started using a Thermacell I just so happen to have some Bug Tamer clothing stored away.  :icon_thumright:
Yep me too. Thanks for sharing...

Offline WV TURKEY THUG

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 04:22:32 AM »
is the bug taimer suit the 25 dollar one?