OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13

Started by Cutt, March 04, 2011, 03:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

I'm not that familiar with Hevi 13 and had a few questions. First what is the latest and greatest in the shells that will be available after patterning? In other words what ones should I get? I've seen many comments about the white hulls being good, but do not want to run across old stock, I'll not be able to find after patterning? An example was just in a gunshop and the guy directed me to some older Remington Hevi, and the boxes did not look like any Hevi-13 I have seen pictured in catalogs and such, but he told me they are the same? I question this?

So basically what brand, or hull color am I looking for to assure newer stock and future availability?

And secondly Hevi -13 is a tungsten I believe? and thought it was just as hard as steel if not harder? My point, just purchased a Jelly Head tube which states good for Hevi and lead but no steel? I do not plan on shooting steel, but thought if it could handle Hevi, why not steel? Thanks

BigPeck215

i would go with the hevi 13 3in 2oz 7's in the bronzeish red hull

density is more important than hardness, while steel may be harder h13 is denser which equates to better penetration, more denser equals more weight equals better penetration

the constriction of a turkey choke it too much for steel, the steel does not compress and maneuver as well as the tungsten does within the barrel, when you constrict you basically squeeze and compress and steel does not compress well and you will end up blowing up the choke

Gobble!

If your gun can shoot 3.5" shells then use the 3.5" 2.25oz #7s.
If your gun shoots 3" shells the use the 3" 2oz #7s

Cutt

Quote from: JohnDoe on March 04, 2011, 03:26:49 PM
There is a chart of hardness and Hevi is listed as much harder. Steel is mostly larger in size and wont do well in a tight choke. Use the Hevi #7 you wont be disappointed.

John

Okay, thought tungsten was harder than steel, so I'm guessing if there were #7, #6, etc. steel it would not be a problem? Never going to shoot steel, was just curios why the choke said no steel, although okay for Hevi? Thanks

And as for shot size I'm going to try both #6 and #7's, I was more concerned with advice on getting the newer stock shells, as someone said the reddish brown hull? My point do not want to pattern with older styles that will not be readily available?

I'm also old school with shot size where shooting lead 4's were good for extra knockdown, and 6's for denser pattern, so always compromised on lead #5's. More knockdown than 6's and denser than 4's.

So now going to Hevi and trying 6's would be a downgrade in shot size after shooting 5"s. I know many preach 7's which without a doubt have awesome patterns, but still question  it's knockdown at it's end range or say, a off shot a bit that only catches the edge of the pattern? My opinion, not going to be easy switching to 6's let alone 7's? I f I get good enough patterns with 6's I'll more than likely go with them. Thanks

hookedspur

Quote from: Gobble! on March 04, 2011, 03:44:21 PM
If your gun can shoot 3.5" shells then use the 3.5" 2.25oz #7s.
If your gun shoots 3" shells the use the 3" 2oz #7s
:agreed: :anim_25:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Borden811

The hevi 13 7's have around the same amount of energy as a lead 5, because if it's greater density, and having a smaller surface area, it will penetrate better. You'll have no problem killing any turkey you shoot at with the 7's. As long as your pattern itself holds together, the 7's will have plenty of energy to do the killing.

knightrider

you have to get away from the bigger is better mentality of lead, with hevi you can go to smaller shot with better penetration and knockdown. it is hard to believe but 7 will work as good and better than lead 5 :anim_25:

WyoHunter

Quote from: Borden811 on March 04, 2011, 05:33:42 PM
The hevi 13 7's have around the same amount of energy as a lead 5, because if it's greater density, and having a smaller surface area, it will penetrate better. You'll have no problem killing any turkey you shoot at with the 7's. As long as your pattern itself holds together, the 7's will have plenty of energy to do the killing.
Well said!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!