Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

the "other" hunting seasons?

Started by derek, February 02, 2013, 12:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

well, how'd everyone do this fall/winter chasing whatever it is you guys chase when its not spring gobbler season?  Any monster bucks slain?  fall turkeys?  big piles of greenheads?  post up!

For me, didn't bow hunt that much, only killed 1 big doe, although I did miss a pretty nice sika stag.  I duck hunted pretty hard however, despite one of our better spots not really producing this year.  Had some great hunts, especially the last 2 weeks when the weather finally started to cooperate and saw some good wind and ice.  Managed 5 bands this year - 4 on greenwing teal and 1 on a honker

2man limit of gadwalls and greenwings plus a band

Nice weather day with some good variety

Nice limit on a real windy day with Whitelightning

Another windy 2man limit and a january Maryland bluewing

A solo hunt on a real cold/icy day

Last day my father (MDBowman) and I could hunt this year and a nice 2 man limit of greys and bootlips on a supposed diver hunt

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

MDbowman

Strange fall for me, took me awhile to get in the groove for bowhunting, then never really hit it hard until the first week of Nov. Managed to scratch out a couple of 8 points during 2 weeks of hunting.

Took this cell phone pic on the next to last day duck hunt with Derek. Turned out to be a great day.

My field camera died this fall and I didn't get many pics duck hunting, which is too bad cuz my old Chessie just turned 11. Hoping she has a few more hunts in her next fall!

Here is how Derek and I started the fall. 2 man dove limit!

misfire

Good pictures and hunts. Myself, deer season was great and awful all at the same time. Opening day of archery, I missed a 120 class 8 pointer at 25yds. Watched the arrow deflect on a limb at 15yds and go straight over his back. A week later had a decent 6 come in at 35yds, knew he was 35yds, don't ask me why I held my 20yd pin on him. Missed two more when I finally found out that my sight broke. Replaced the sight and never got another deer in range.
Duck season was even worse. Did not even go the first season, we had no water here and the reports were not encouraging. Went the opener of the second season, killed 8 ducks over the weekend. Birds were there, but the fog each morning really hurt. Did not go again until the last week of the season. Made the 9 hour trip out to Arkansas, birds were not there. Last year I killed 36 birds in nine days, this year I was lucky to kill 20. Took a newbie out there with us and broke him in right. Jump shot some snows, 11 shots took out 46. And people can say what they want, but my friend's mother cooked them up one night and I was impressed. She cubed the meat, breaded and flash fried, then put in crock pot with cream of mushroom and a packet of onion soup, soy sauce and a few other ingredients and poured that over rice.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

canadatom

I managed to get myself a nice doe during the shotgun hunt, that was about it for me though. Between work and 2 young kids I just ran out of time to bow hunt as much as I normally would

Duke0002

Congrats, guys.  Great pics.  No deer for me.  Was close a couple of times on fall toms, but couldn't seal the deal.

Fullfan

Some great pic's guys. Love that sunrise. Jr got to tag along to Idaho for his first elk hunt. Had a blast 6 of us killed 5 bulls and a nuts up on a huge wolf. Back home I poked a adverage 8 pt with the bow.
Don't gobble at me...

nogoodreezen

I had a great season. Bow hunting whitetails is probably favorite thing to do.  I killed this nice nine and my wife killed the eight with her CVA. Killed a couple more does for the freezer. Now I just need some turkey breast to go with it.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2