turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington Versamax

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 04, 2011, 10:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrodmar10

I got a chance to look at the Remington Versamax at the NWTF Conv. at the Remington trailer. The Rep even removed the forearm and let me take a look at the gas system. Looking at the bolt I immediatley thought it looked just like my SBE II bolt. As a matter of fact the whole gun reminded me of the Benelli. Did Beretta buy Remington too. The little gas chambers were radical and new looking. Has anybody shot one yet? If so what do you thik of it? My blood runs Remington green but I had to switch to something new after I shot the first edition of the Remington 11-87 Super Mag to pieces in two season of shooting 3 1/2 inch waterfowl loads. Can I go back to Remington with the new Versamax?

fallsflight

Actually, Remington has been buying up other manufacturers of guns and ammo.  But anyway, I plan on picking one up not too far down the road.  I have not shot one yet, but like the design of it.  I will be using it for waterfowl, not turkeys.

allaboutshooting

I've shot the Versa Max, mainly with "clays" shells quite a bit. It felt good to me, came quickly to my shoulder and functioned well, for the time that I shot it.

It has the "Pro Bore" barrel and there are currently not a lot of turkey chokes to fit it.

It has a lot of features that you've seen on several Benelli models and even the outer profile resembles a Benelli in some ways. The gas pistons look very familiar.

As has been said, the Freedom Group that now owns Remington has been in a buying mode and has not sold Remington arms or ammo to the Beretta.

It remains to be seen how the Versa Max will sell. It's a high-end Remington shotgun and currently is not moving too quickly.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

boyhowdy

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 04, 2011, 02:14:22 PM
I've shot the Versa Max, mainly with "clays" shells quite a bit. It felt good to me, came quickly to my shoulder and functioned well, for the time that I shot it.

It has the "Pro Bore" barrel and there are currently not a lot of turkey chokes to fit it.

It has a lot of features that you've seen on several Benelli models and even the outer profile resembles a Benelli in some ways. The gas pistons look very familiar.

As has been said, the Freedom Group that now owns Remington has been in a buying mode and has not sold Remington arms or ammo to the Beretta.

It remains to be seen how the Versa Max will sell. It's a high-end Remington shotgun and currently is not moving too quickly.

Thanks,
Clark

I've been a remington man for a long time and there is no doubt that the older stuff is great,  if everybody else is like me that Versa Max is a whole lotta money for an unproven design, especially with Remingtons rep as of late/

pullit

Quote from: boyhowdy on March 04, 2011, 02:51:14 PM
Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 04, 2011, 02:14:22 PM

Thanks,
Clark

I've been a remington man for a long time and there is no doubt that the older stuff is great,  if everybody else is like me that Versa Max is a whole lotta money for an unproven design, especially with Remingtons rep as of late/

I could not have said it better. The new Versa Max is playing in the Extrema, Benelli SBE, SuperX 3, and Browning Gold range, all of which have a good track record. I see this as an up hill climb.

grousec

In that market and that price range, I would not be looking at a remington.  But then i am not a remington fan.  I had a 1100 in my early upland hunting days, but lots of better choices in my opinion (and that's all it is).

schuylkillspur

Just picked one up tonight along with 20 other guns for our NWTF Banquet next Saturday. The gun looks good point great it is a little thick in the pistol grip area. It has a comp fiber optic signt with the extra bars for it and also five choke tubes. Maybe I'll win it next Saturday and then I can do some testing?????
You hav nothing w/o FAITH