OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Beretta Xtrema Chokes in a SBE II????

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 04, 2011, 09:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrodmar10

I've got a Beretta Xtrema 3 1/2 Shotgun I've been shooting for several years on waterfowl. This past season I bought a Benelli SBE II for a backup gun. I bought a factory turkey choke for the Beretta a couple of years ago so that I could use it for turkey hunting. I also have a Patternmaster that I use in it which does very well for waterfowl. The first thing I did when I bought the SBE II was to buy a Patternmaster for it for the duck hunting. That afternoon I noticed that the two Patternmaster chokes would interchange in either gun. So I'm thinking "Good" I can swap all the chokes backs and forth. So I could use the Beretta turkey choke in the SBE II.

Well, when I was at the NWTF convention in Nashville I stopped and talked to the factory reps at the Benelli booth. I asked him if they had started making a factory turkey choke for the SBE II and he said that they had not. When I told him that was okay since I could use the one from my Beretta he said that I shouldn't use it because the barrels are different. I told him that the chokes seemed to be the same and would fit either gun he told me that the Benelli had the Cryo barrel and should not be used with the Beretta chokes.

Now I realize that he was working at the Benelli booth but does he know what he's talking about or not. Didn't the corporation that own Beretta buy Benelli? Why would the Cryo barrel be any different. I put the chokes in both barrels and looked in the barrel with a light. There didn't seem to be any difference in how the choke/barrel junction looked in either barrel so I'm assuming the inside diameters are the same.

Do we have any Beretta or Benelli guys on here that could explain or debunk this situation?

Ebby

I've been interchanging mine for a while now. Haven't noticed any problems but I don't have any official info to back that up. Hope I'm not doing something wrong.
Lee

turkeytromp

Super black eagleII and the beretta extrema = Same threads and choke combination. The only difference is the benelli has the crio barrel in which is treated by freezing the finished metal for more dense patterns however this does not change the thread sizes what so ever.
On all primos chokes if you look on the package it will have listed for the benelli SBEII crio and beretta extrema and the beretta optima guns.Same thread size and choke pockets all the same. Have fun and shoot !

Nimrodmar10

I told the Rep that the new Patternmaster I bought for the SBE II said it was for either SBE II or Beretts Xtrema. He said it shouldn't be.

Borden811

If you look at some of the choke diameters online from manufacturers that make chokes for both the SBEII, and Beretta Extrema 2, it seems that for some of the chokes in the same constriction, the diameters are different. For example, go to carlson's choke tube websight. A Benelli modified Crio Plus tube is listed at .705. The Beretta modified Optima Plus tube is listed at.713. Which equates to about 1 step in tube constriction differences. An Optima Plus full is .703. The dimensions and threads are the same, but the exit diameters are different. This may not be true for all chokes that fit both these guns. That being said, I have a Briley Dove Duster(light modified) choke for the beretta Optima Plus syster, that I shoot in MY SBE II. Have been doing so for about 3 years, and it's deadly on clays, doves, and early season geese. So, I guess it could be like shooting an improved cylinder in My benelli, since the optima plus tubes are a bit larger in exit diameter, for the same labeled constriction. Does that make sense? With the more open chokes I don't think it would be a problem. But if you had a full in the beretta optima plus tube, and put it in the benelli, it could theoretically be even tighter(extrafull), and that may potentially be a problem.

tjh24

I bought a new hevi-shot choke tube and it was labeled as both beretta and benelli ( I am shooting an xtrema 2)

Borden811

Correct.  So if you put a superfull choke from the smaller of the two bores(ID), in the the gun with the larger bore(ID), it could in effect be a problem right? Even though the chokes will fit the same, it would squeeze the shot down rather quickly, and possibly crack the choke, end of barrel. Or am I wrong? Like I said, I don't think with the more open chokes, it would make much of a difference from a safety standpoint.  The other end of the spectrum is where I would have my worries, with the superfull turkey chokes and whatnot.

turkeytromp

nimrod,
Here is an example of interchanging chokes for both the SBEII and the beretta extrema/optima +
This choke and many others list these guns only that are compatible.

http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/detail.asp?pid=PG127OP&cc=T&dn=1&link=

PALongspur

Are you sure he was a "rep" and not some just Joe Schmoe?

Benelli does in fact offer a "factory" turkey choke for the SBEII and has been for several years. It's fairly inexpensive and patterns fantastic with a variety of ammo.

Nimrodmar10

Well, I didn't get his name. It might have been Joe Schmoe. All I had to go by was that he was wearing a Benelli shirt and standing behind the gun display in the Benelli booth. That doesn't necessarily mean he was a gun techie type but he talked like one. Maybe he just spent the night at THAT  hotel that makes you smart..