only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Devotional Friday 3/04/2011 "Wasted Time"

Started by BOFF, March 04, 2011, 07:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

I'd like to share one of my favorite verses with you today. Matthew 6:34:

Matthew 6:34
34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

One of the reasons it is my favorite, is, earlier in my life, I tended to worry about stuff. Some of the stuff was simple and some of it was complex. Some of the stuff was everyday issues, and some of it was once in a while. Some of it was issues I created, and some of it came out of nowhere. Regardless, I had a tendency to worry, and I had to remind myself, God told me not to worry about such things.  I remember God speaking so vividly to me when I first read this verse. It was written specifically for me, and for you. So, I memorized this verse early in my life, and it was, and still is, often recited to myself, and to others as the issues/stuff appear.

However, much like all the scripture, one can not read just one verse to gain a complete understanding. We need to back up several verses to Matthew 6:25-33 to understand completely about verse 34, and the title of 'Wasted Time". So lets look at the following previous verses to Matthew 6:34.

Matthew 6:25-33

Do Not Worry
   25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
  28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

In the above verses, the major thing which jumps out to me for any of this to happen is, we must first be of God, and second, seeking his will.  If we do these things, God will provide for us. No, that does not mean our life will be without trials or troubles. It does mean though, our lives will be  fulfilled with comfort of the Heavenly Father. I have found my tendency to worry has lessened, and my faith has increased. I am also reminded of how much our Heavenly Father loves us, his creations, being created  in his own image.  We are told through the above scripture to separate ourselves from unbelievers, by acting with faith, like believers.

Have we stepped out of our comfort zones, and acted with true faith? No I'm not writing we should do nothing. But after applying the strengths, abilities, and talents our Father has given us, and the issues/stuff have not worked out, have you turned it over to the Lord, completely? Or, have you still retained a small thread attached to the issues/stuff in which you can reel it back in? By doing so, we still worry, and exhibit  a lack of faith in the promises our Father has given us, by wanting to maintain some minute thread of control.

Turn it over, seek his will, and stop wasting time in things your Heavenly Father wants to take care of, specifically for you, His creation.  

Father God thank you for loving us, and the many promises we have through your son Jesus and our salvation through Him. We thank you for your protection, seen and unseen. Forgive us for the tiny threads we still have attached to our issues and stuff, and the unneeded worry it causes, and time wasted. May we be able to cut the threads in two, acting in faith for you and your glory alone. For it is in Jesus name we ask and claim these things, Amen!

God Bless,
David B.

Duke0002

latimer shedhead

Amen....It's a verse that's benn on my mind lately

turkey slayer

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)