turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBE II choke and ammo?

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, March 03, 2011, 10:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

I shoot an SBE II with a 24" barrel.  Looking for choke and ammo recomondations.

ground control

i've got an sbe2 with a 26" barrel. i put an indian creek choke on it and have been shooting 3" magblends. not to say that this is the best choke/load combo, but it does pretty well for me. i'd like to try the #7 hevi-shot, but i've got several boxes of magblends to run through first. different guns are gonna like different chokes, but indian creek and pure gold seem to have pretty good customer service. I'm sure others do as well, but these two come to mind. it's a game of trial and error. also, if you haven't already, be prepared to put some sort of sight on it. shooting chokes like these and throwing patterns this tight it will seldom be spot on. i make more mistakes than i don't, but feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

Mailman

I have SBE2 with IC .665 I am shooting Tss handloads. but it seems to pattern most other shells pretty well.
One Shot One Kill

SumToy

650 with lead and 665 with heavy shot from the test we have did.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

vaturkey

Quote from: 1tiogabowhunter on March 03, 2011, 10:06:29 PM
I shoot an SBE II with a 24" barrel.  Looking for choke and ammo recomondations.

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME GUN !! HERES MY CHOKE & LOAD COMBO.

GOOD LUCK  :newmascot:
Vaturkey

SKFOOTER

Quote from: SumToy on March 04, 2011, 08:31:22 AM
650 with lead and 665 with heavy shot from the test we have did.
Have you found the ported or non-ported chokes to pattern the best???

SumToy

We do not run ports in anything we build other then the outlaw target guns.  The chokes are not ported in them just the barrels.

That pattern looks good but I think you go bigger on the choke with the 31/2.  We shot a 3 inch out of 26 inch and was 233.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

vaturkey

Quote from: SumToy on March 04, 2011, 10:17:07 PM
We do not run ports in anything we build other then the outlaw target guns.  The chokes are not ported in them just the barrels.

That pattern looks good but I think you go bigger on the choke with the 31/2.  We shot a 3 inch out of 26 inch and was 233.
SUM TOY
                   DO YOU MEAN YOU OPEN UP THE CHOKE IF YOUR SHOOTING 31/2 SHELLS ?  WHAT SIZE SHOT IN 3 INCH DID YOU GET 233 ? THANKS  VATURKEY 
Vaturkey

SumToy

It was a 3-2-7 HV-13.  Alot of folks choke guns to small.  If you over choke a gun it will blow the pattern and will walk around.  I have worked on chokes for the hunter.  They will give a good kill pattern and put numbers about the same over and over. 

Now as the ports I not like to put holes in any part of the chokes.  They under all kinds of pressure and that just takes material out of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

nyhunter

My SBEII with a 24" barrel gets the best pattern"s from an I.C .665 and win.elite xtend range 3.5" 2oz #6. I average 170 in a 10in circle at 40 yds. I have tried jellyhead .660 , puregold .670 , comp-n-choke .658 , with H-13 3" and 3.5" #6. So far nothing beats the I.C xtend range combo. I am going to order a final strut choke from gobbler guns this year, you might wanna give them a call and talk with Rob. They do all the custom work for benelli.