OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: saw tooth oak  (Read 8017 times)

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
saw tooth oak
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:18:07 PM »
late in the fall we planted three small saw tooth oaks on our hunt area has anyone else done this and how do turkeys like them the nursery owner gave them to us and if they work i would like to buy bigger trees to plant

Offline Hhayes6

Re: saw tooth oak
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:39:27 PM »
Sawtooth oaks start producing faster than any other tree and they will grow anywhere, any soil! Shortly after we planted them we found out about a hybrid tree called a "Gobbler oak" or "Gobbler sawtooth oak" and it was made specifically for turkeys. I'm not sure on the differences between the two other than a touch smaller, a lot more acorns. Give it a look!

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »
 the trees we planted werent very big maybe waiste high how big were yours and how long till they produced
wow gobbler oaks i will ask our nursery about that thanks did you end up planting any

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:53:47 PM »
Hey Wes I planted about 20 sawtooth oak acorns  and 9 chestnuts in the field behind my house. But I wont know if they made it or not till spring.

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
thanks for the info.. i palnted one in my front yard im pretty sure it will make it we watered it all summer and god has been putting plenty of water on it all this fall

Offline turkeykiller22

• Grounded Brand
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »
We have planted over 250 sawtooths on our place about 7 yrs ago and they are starting to produce. From now on we will plant white oaks. If you plant those, and take care of them you can get acorns in 12 years or so plus if you need to sell the timber one day you can make good money off them. And by take care of I mean placing weed mats down, tree protectors, fertilizing and watering...

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
How did the sawtooths do?

Offline turkeykiller22

• Grounded Brand
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
Our sawtooths have done well. We have only had a few die. We did put tree tubes around each one after planting though. Most will produce acorns this coming fall of 2014 which will be their second year to produce.

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 06:16:55 AM »
Our sawtooths have done well. We have only had a few die. We did put tree tubes around each one after planting though. Most will produce acorns this coming fall of 2014 which will be their second year to produce.
awesome i really like mine the few i have on the farm we hunt arent much bigger than liners nut they were free and growing very well

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
I have had good and bad luck with them. Bought some from a nursery about 12 years ago and planted them and they have not produced many acorns at all but they are almost big enough to cut for hardwood pulpwood, which is what they will be the next time loggers are on our place. I also planted some from acorns I picked up off highly productive trees and they are making acorns in 5 years. I think it is all about whether the parent tree was a good producer or not.