turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Macassar Ebony Push Pins

Started by Old Gobbler, January 04, 2014, 09:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeterbait

I have to admit I have looked down my nose at push pin calls.  I must say though Shannon over the last few years you have brought respect to the pushpin in my eyes.  Those are awsome looking calls.

Old Gobbler

Guys , I want to thank you all for the kind words on my calls

Many of you may have known that I am a unabashed push pin call fanatic all my life , to the point that in order to get the best quality push pin call I resorted to making them myself to the highest standard in sound and quality  - i made them for myself and friends to hunt with and before long people wanted to buy some for hunting -I have just about almost exclusively hunted with push pins on hard hunted public gobblers for nearly 30 years and been darn successful at it too -- Push pin calls are my secret weapon , in the right hands they are incredibly authentic and versatile

Push pins are actually a very old design with roots going back to the Virginia region about 85 years ago , it was promoted successfully by most peoples knowledge by the Jackson/ Chalkleys companies up until the 1980's when push pins became a new found fad by large production turkey call companies and were at that time marketed as a " beginners call" at that point , the reputation of the style of call was degraded to the eyes of the turkey hunting masses as a novice call - it fell victim to a stereotype , there have been several good designs of these calls throughout the years , but for the most part for the large production companies it was a means to round out their product line and keep up with the trends of the times until something else trendy came along

Each call I make takes the better part of a full day to make just 1 call ....plus supplies ( ebony )I get many enquires about the availability and pricing for my calls -- the ones pictured are the standard model without a lid and those I now collect $125 for those , the ones some of you may have seen pictured in other posts with a sliding black Gabon ebony lid I collect $150 for - buyers choice of woods , Gabon black ebony , Mun Ebony , Black and White Ebony ,several types of Cocobolo and the ones pictured ... Macassar ebony ( I only have a limited amount of Macassar)

I have developed my own unique internal components that are crafted and designed to produce the best sound , unique hand layed 2 ply soundboard ( Macassar & rosewood) clamped under 5000 pounds of pressure with a special glue , then the soundboard is hand flexed and shaved , when it's installed into the frame of the call its matched and tuned with striker/pyramid and tuned up several more times during the process --100% made by me from scratch - I use the best quality musical grade hardwoods (just like a piano or violin , ) it produces the most consistent sound -again just about a whole day to crank out 1 call 

I try my best to keep up with orders and can only make a few each year , cause I got to go turkey hunting like the rest of you !

Again thanks for the kind words and support -- Shannon-J-Kelly
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

dirtnap

Nice calls.  That is very unique.