News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just got in from shooting! WOW! Advice for hunting-

Started by TheSportsman, March 03, 2011, 02:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

MAN guys, just got back from the pattern boards-

It just so happens the new .670 Pure Gold and my 870 make one mean azz team together.  I started the patterning with the Hevi 6s 2 1/4oz load, the Mag Blend 2 1/4oz load, Win XR 2oz 5s or Win XR 2oz 6s....

Slight cross wind today, 67 degrees.  Distance shot- 36 yards from end of barrel with rangefinder(sorry, couldnt get 40) Shooting straight beads, no aftermarket sighting. Cleaning throughly after each shot. Shooting off of bench with Caldwell Sled.

The 6s did pretty good coming in with 196 in a 10" circle at 36yds. The MBs came in at 222 pellets in a 10" circle(Seems like the Magblends had a whole lot more 7s in them than they did last year???.  Both loads would be fine for hunting, however my gun shoots just a hair to the right(may of had something to do with cross wind from left to right?) The real suprise was the XR shells...  The 6s did great, but then I shot the 5s......... With my gun, 23" SM 870, polished barrel and factory double beads and a .670PG, at 36 yds, I got 221 #5s Winchester Xtended Range pellets in a 10" circle! The 5s beat the 6s!  I thought this was awesome! Pattern is very very even with the center of my pattern pretty much dead on.... Looks like the Winchester XR 5s are going in my 870 for the birds...  Whats your opinion of the 5s in the XR shells? Would you hunt with it? Will i loose much going to 40 or 50?  Shot the XR 5s at 15 yards, and the softball pattern was just a hair off to the right but the bird still woulda died. Comments please guys, thanks!

chipper

That's one of my favorite loads, shot the 5's for 4 or 5 years and killed a bunch of birds with it. Its a killer load and penetration won't be a problem.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WyoHunter

No problem with that combo! I shot 5's in lead for years until I switched to Hevi-13 and never had a problem. Plenty of energy per pellet - probably twice what a 7 has at any range and with the density of your pattern an outstanding combination. Add a scope to that beast and you'd have the perfect turkey killing machine IMO!  :icon_thumright:
:fud: :newmascot:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

joshua

Quote from: WyoHunter on March 03, 2011, 06:41:32 PM
No problem with that combo! I shot 5's in lead for years until I switched to Hevi-13 and never had a problem. Plenty of energy per pellet - probably twice what a 7 has at any range and with the density of your pattern an outstanding combination. Add a scope to that beast and you'd have the perfect turkey killing machine IMO!  :icon_thumright:
:fud: :newmascot:
:agreed: X2
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Gobble!

If i could get better patterns from a larger pellet than a smaller one, you better believe that would be the one i would hunt with

great patterns with the 5s

allaboutshooting

It certainly sounds like you've found your turkey load. Congratulations and all my best this  spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

REBELYELL

surehuntsalot

The Winchester EXRange #5's do very well in my 835
and the bird don't get back up
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RustySap