OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone try the Winchester supreme elites in a SBE 2?

Started by slb9981, March 03, 2011, 12:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slb9981

If so how did they do? How do they compare to hevi shots. Please let me know the choke you used as well.

vaturkey

Quote from: slb9981 on March 03, 2011, 12:42:17 PM
If so how did they do? How do they compare to hevi shots. Please let me know the choke you used as well.

I USE TO SHOOT THE WIN.SUPREME IN MY SBE2. I ALSO TRIED THE EXTENDED RANGE IN IT. I THINK THEY ARE CALLED ELITES. I HAVE SWITCHED TO HEVI 13 31/2  2OZ. #6 WITH INDIAN CREEK .665 CHOKE.
IM REAL HAPPY WITH THE HEVI 13 :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Borden811

I tried the supreme elites when they first came out, along with a ton of other different shells. I have a jellyhead in my SBE II, and although the supreme elites did decent, the hevi-13 6's in the 2.25 oz load outperformed it by and everage of 30 pellets every time.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: slb9981 on March 03, 2011, 12:42:17 PM

The Winchester "Supreme Elite" Xtended Range Hi-Density shell is a good one. The 3" version has 1.75 oz. of shot and the 3.5" shell has 2 oz. of shot. I've found the #6 shot patterns better than the others but the #5 shot version is the largest seller for them.

It has a well deserved reputation as a "kicker". The shot is 12 gr/cc, very similar to Hevi-13 brand and Remington Wingmaster HD and both of those have a hardness rating of 100 DPH which is roughly 1/2 that of Hevi-13, at 200+ DPH but still way harder than typical lead shot which is about 35 DPH. For comparison, steel shot is usually 90-120 DPH.

It has a good wad and patterns well in many different chokes. It's a pretty "forgiving" shotshell. In addition to being noted as a kicker, it's had a pretty good reputation for being a consistent performer.

In the last couple of years, the Hevi-13 shells have outperformed the WXRHD in most guns. They've also been more moderately priced and seem to have gained a wider following.

I live in Winchester Country, only about 1 hour or so from where they're made. The WXRHD has not really been a popular shell here however, probably due to price. The HV lead shell is a big seller and the one that most turkey hunters here use.

Benelli shotguns (along with Remington) are top sellers here since we have so many waterfowl hunters as well as turkey hunters and they have a great reputation in the goose pits and swamps.

Folks here in Southern Illinois use  a variety of turkey chokes but the Wright's is probably the #1 seller in the lower 20 counties of the state, especially with the Benelli shooters.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Nimrodmar10

Clark, I'm not familiar with a Wright's choke, can you expound on it a little. I'm also looking for a choke for a SBE II.

turkeytromp

I shot the winchester supreme elite extended range #6 last year using the primos .660 jelly head with excellent results and killed two birds the farthest was 43 yards.
However I have now purchased a new indian creek choke .665 and will hopefully be using hevi13 3-1/2" #7 or the hevi13 3" #6 this year, just waiting on a nice day to hit my range out back. my SBEII 24" liked the jellyhead,but I think the indian creek .665 is going to be the ticket.I will psot results as soon as I get to try it out.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 04, 2011, 09:26:54 AM
Clark, I'm not familiar with a Wright's choke, can you expound on it a little. I'm also looking for a choke for a SBE II.

The Wright's choke name is most familiar to trap shooters. Stu Wright has been making high quality trap chokes for 20-25 years and is a fixture on the trap shooting circuit. I think 2011 will be his 28th year at the Grand. You can find his trap chokes in guns all over the world. He's also a master gunsmith who works on mostly higher end O/U guns and does a lot of restoration work.

His turkey chokes are all non-ported, with crowned muzzles, made from ETD-150PH steel with long parallel sections and available in .650, .660 and .670 exit diameters for most guns. They are also limited production and not always available in all configurations, unfortunately. I always stock up whenever possible.

In the lower 20 counties of Southern Illinois, Stu's turkey chokes are a sought after item.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nyhunter

I shoot the win. supreme elites 3.5" 2oz #6 out of my SBEII. my gun has a 24" barrel. I have tried several chokes pure gold .670 , jellyhead .660 , comp-n-choke .658, i get my best patterns  with an the  I.C .665 bds. I average 170 in a 10" circle. I have also tried H-13 3" and 3.5" #6 out of all those chokes and the winchester did shot allot better out of my gun. I am going to be getting a final strut from gobbler guns and trying that this year.

slb9981

I tried the magnum blends and the #6 Winchester elites. There was no comparison the hevi shot were much better. I was shooting a .670 rhino choke. With that said I wasnt sold neither of them out to 50 yards.

PALongspur

I've always had good luck with the XRHD shells. My Beretta loves the 3" #6 load and my SBEII shoots 3 1/2" 5s and 6s equally well. I'd love to see them offer a #7 load in the future.