turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sealing Crimps

Started by duckaholic25, March 14, 2013, 09:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckaholic25

Can someone tell me how to seal the crimps on XRHD shells so the buffer dosent leak out.

Ded Goblr

Rockhound

Fingernail polish, small dab of elmers glue will be good

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: duckaholic25 on March 14, 2013, 09:57:51 PM
Can someone tell me how to seal the crimps on XRHD shells so the buffer dosent leak out.

Those shells should not leak with the process that Winchester used on them. If Winchester was still manufacturing them, I'd recommend that you contact them and have them replaced. Since they are no longer being loaded that's not an option unfortunately. It's easy to increase the pressure on shotshells, so I'd be very sparing with anything that you use to attempt to seal them and only use something if it's really necessary.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BandedSpur

Nearly all the handloaders I know use a product called "Alex Plus", an elastomeric  caulk, you can find at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Just smooth a tiny amount on with your fingers, then use a paper towel to wipe as much of it off as you can, leaving only a thin coat in the bottom of the grooves.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 15, 2013, 08:03:26 AM
Nearly all the handloaders I know use a product called "Alex Plus", an elastomeric  caulk, you can find at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Just smooth a tiny amount on with your fingers, then use a paper towel to wipe as much of it off as you can, leaving only a thin coat in the bottom of the grooves.

Alex plus is awesome. Goes on white and dries clear. Good stuff. Use just enough to seal tho cause like Clark said, shotshell pressures can rise quickly

captin_hook

I put a little fingernail polish on all my shells.

gophert

elmers glue or fingernail polish

mudhen

All of the above.

New XRD's don't seem to leak, but the older ones did for sure....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka