turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Picked up some nice wood last night.

Started by Crutch, March 03, 2011, 09:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crutch

Got two boards of Mahogany. One is 2" thick, 9.5" wide and 6 or 8 feet long. The other piece is about the same but about 7.5 inches wide.  Also got several 3/4 inch thick pieces of hickory, cherry and one piece of maple. Total cost $75. I think I have enough striker material to last a life time. Probably 35 board feet of the hickory, cherry and maple.

I don't hear much about pot calls from Mahogany, is there a reason for that?  Is it more valued for box calls?
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

selinoid44

I love mahogany, in fact I've just turned a couple of strikers. Here in the next few days I hope to have a couple of pots turned out from that old head and foot board.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

TarheelTurk

I dont recall seeing a pot call made from mahogany so if/when you turn one please be sure to post a pic. So one of you is actually using a head board to turn a call/striker out of? either way great find or buy !!
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

M,Yingling

Nice snag on the wood ,,,This is sort of like the hickory post  ,, not fancy enough ,, but is good wood for making calls  ,, few i have made

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Crutch

I delivered the pot to yellow acrons tonight. I'll get him to take a pic. It turned out very nice (even though I don't know what Im doing) It sounded pretty darn good too.  The bottom of the pot has some beautiful wave to the grain and radient color. I put some Dainish oil on it. Probably should use some spar urethane or something but if its a problem, I can just make another later.  Besides, I'm not making them to sell, just making them as gifts to close friends. If they kill one with it, that is going to feel real good.

Iowaturkey

My favorite pot call material is Mahogany.

handcannon

Congrats on one heck of a buy! With those dimensions you can pull out boxes, pots, tubes or whatever you desire.

Crutch

I took a cell pic which doesn't show the beauty of the wood. 

Hum, maybe I should work out a trade with Pappy???? Got a long box on order already.
I do have enough to do more than I need.
I'm just a little hesitant to try much other than a pot. I hate to waste  even a small peice and know
that I don't know enough about box calls to try that. I would like to make a hooter, but don't know what I need to know there either.

[attachment deleted by admin]

mmims

Mahogany makes a great pot call! I absolutly love it!

yellowacorns

Cant wait till opening morning to use the pot Crutch made me!! I hope i can do it justise! :z-guntootsmiley:
We may have dueling pots sounding off.  cant wait.   
Thanks again crutch