OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: WHO MAKES THE BEST REAL HEN SOUNDING CUSTOM BOX CALL  (Read 25665 times)

Offline J Gilbert

Re: WHO MAKES THE BEST REAL HEN SOUNDING CUSTOM BOX CALL
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
My #1 box at this point is a long box from Russell Beard (Beard Hunter Turkey Calls), I'd like to pick up a short box from Mr. Bob Harwell before spring as well if I have the extra money.

I've seen a lot of calls that look great that don't have a turkey sound anywhere in them, and that's one thing I would certainly look out for when buying a box call.  This is why I prefer to run any box I can before I buy, because even two made of the same materials won't always sound the same.

Offline ncturkey

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Go hunting and Fishing
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 12:43:17 PM »
There's so many outstanding call makers out there who makes great calls... My favorite short boxes are made by Al and Josh Shoemaker (SS Custom Calls). I also really like my short boxes from Bob Harwell, Scott Witter, and Tim Bullock... My favorite long box is a cedar over butternut from Jeff McKamey (Twisting Creek Calls)
Can not go wrong with box calls made from any of these guys you mentioned.

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
He isn't going to say so for obvious reasons, but Mr. ncturkey builds one heck of a great sounding and looking box call as well.

Offline Chris Downs

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 09:19:34 AM »
Do you guys considier David Halloran a "Custom" callmaker and what do you think of his boxes?

Offline barry

• Double Beard
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »
He isn't going to say so for obvious reasons, but Mr. ncturkey builds one heck of a great sounding and looking box call as well.

So does Scott Witter...aka "culpeper"

Online gaswamp

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:44 PM »
Do you guys considier David Halloran a "Custom" callmaker and what do you think of his boxes?

yes I consider him to be a custom callmaker.  In my mind his boxes are just ok, not bad or terrible just average.  He is getting better every year with the boxes though. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:06:30 PM by gaswamp »