OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Buckshot Chokes  (Read 7255 times)

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
Buckshot Chokes
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »
I saw two patterns of Remington 2 3/4" 000 buck shot at 40 steps shot through two different chokes offered by Sumtoy chokes in the invector thread using a Winchester 1300 gun and in both cases all 8 pellets are inside a 14" circle and that includes the flyer in each shot.Most were inside a 10" circle believe it or not. This was through a Buck Wild and LM choke. In either pattern there were at least three pellets within an inch of each other.
These chokes are doing their best in the Winchester gray box 00 buck loads and yet they even work great in the Remington shells. Not the copper plated pellets, just the plain old lead loads. Ain't no tellin' what the copper plated pellets will do.
This Sumtoy choke just does an outstanding job for the guy who shoots buckshot ,especially while stalk hunting . These may actually be too tight for dog hunting on running deer but I have never seen anything like them for tight buckshot patterns. A chest shot at 40 yards should take out lungs, heart and liver possibly. You don't get far with that shot.

Offline pinch

Re: Buckshot Chokes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »
I bought a Kicks buckkicker for my M2 last fall and was really happy with the patterns I was getting using 3" Winchester OObuck at 40yards. I put my modified choke in and tried Federal flight control 3" OObuck and was impressed with those patterns at 40yards as well. I took a young buck at 28yards with the Kicks and OO, was a bang flop. The whole pattern was about the size of the palm of my hand. I recommend it.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
I bought a Kicks buckkicker for my M2 last fall and was really happy with the patterns I was getting using 3" Winchester OObuck at 40yards. I put my modified choke in and tried Federal flight control 3" OObuck and was impressed with those patterns at 40yards as well. I took a young buck at 28yards with the Kicks and OO, was a bang flop. The whole pattern was about the size of the palm of my hand. I recommend it.
I actually use the kicks buck kicker with my turkey loads. Remington premier 2 oz 6’s patterns great. I bet the Sumtoy might surprise you also

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 01:58:35 AM »
I have had a few boxes of .00 Buck for years but have never shot they because I have no idea which choke to use with it and don't want to mess it up as it is my all purpose gun, turkey, trap, sporting clays and so on. I have the improved, modified and full that came with the gun and a turkey full but no clue which to use.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 06:43:35 AM »
I have had a few boxes of .00 Buck for years but have never shot they because I have no idea which choke to use with it and don't want to mess it up as it is my all purpose gun, turkey, trap, sporting clays and so on. I have the improved, modified and full that came with the gun and a turkey full but no clue which to use.
I would try the improved modified first. And I would not go any tighter unless you buy a buckshot choke made for your gun just to be safe. A full choke is probably ok I have shot buckshot through a full choke on one of my old guns without any problem

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
I will have to wait until after turkey season, can't afford to replace it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."