News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone ever use a 410?

Started by StreetHowitzer, February 07, 2011, 03:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

Quote.......never not killed the bird I shot at

You didn't really just say out loud on a public forum that you haven't missed a bird in 20 yrs.......did you? ;D 

shad309

Quote from: hobbes on February 08, 2011, 04:47:34 PM
Quote.......never not killed the bird I shot at

You didn't really just say out loud on a public forum that you haven't missed a bird in 20 yrs.......did you? ;D 

I didn't say how many shots I've taken either in that 20 years either ;) I've gone many years without pulling the trigger because the bird was out of what I felt was a killing range, spooked, hung up, decoy flew away in the wind with the bird approaching..., etc
I've pulled the trigger 5 times & got 5 birds. There's more than 15 years without taking a shot in there.

I'm in no way an expert and never will claim to be one. Now I could care less if I popped one and would rather get a photo. It's the same rush for me- anymore it's the hunt, not the kill.

mcgruff1533

I'd start with some 3" loads if your gun is chambered for the longer shell.    Skip #4 and #5 lead and stick with #6 or even #7.5's.    This will help increase your pattern density because your pattern will run out well before the pellets run out of enough energy to penetrate Mr.Gobbler's vitals.

For example, 1 ounce of #6 lead will contain roughly 225 pellets.      An 11/16 ounce load of #6 shot from a .410 will contain roughly 154 pellets.  (225 pellets/ 16= 14 pellets per sixteenth X 11 sixteenths= 154 pellets)

11/16 of #7.5 lead will contain 240 pellets, (350 per ounce divided by 16= 22 pellets per sixteenth  X 11 sixteenth's= 240 pellets).    This would be the optimal choice since you have more pellets to deal with, and they still pack enough punch at 20 yards to kill a Turkey.   

Pattern at 20 yards and see if you can put 100 pellets (minimum) in a 10" circle.    

By way of example, a 1 ounce load of #4 lead contains roughly 135 pellets.    An 11/16 ounce load of #4 lead will contain roughly 92 pellets.    That means you're under the 100 pellet threshold before the shot column has even left the barrel.    Move 20 yards downrange and it only gets worse.  

Long story short, a .410 is capable of taking a Turkey if you use smaller shot, and close range.    Just a guess, but from prior experience with my fixed choke .410, I wouldn't take a shot any further than 25 yards... and that's probably pushing it.

StreetHowitzer

Lots of good advice :thanks:
I will post up results of my patterning at 25 yards when I get it done.
~Anthony

StreetHowitzer

Well the .410 is out for turkey hunting. I checked the state regs and 28 gauge is the smallest shotgun allowed. I guess he will just have to ride along with me, or maybe I can "help" him shoot my 12 gauge.
~Anthony

schuylkillspur

I need to take a bird with the 410 to finish my gauge slam. was planning on do it in Kansas this April but found out that they aren't legal. Bummer
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

fallsflight

Just curious if anyone has had the chance to pattern their .410s?

mossy835

Never used my first shotgun on Turkeys but many years ago I hunted and killed my limit of quail, doves and a bunch of rattle snakes and coyotes on the desert in SO CAL. It took 2 /34 and 3 inch shells there were three chokes ( screwed on the outside of the barrel) and held it's own with the 20 and 12 gauge shotguns in our group. They were the adults I was the kid. I wold really want to do some serious testing before I took it out (if I still had it) for turkey and I suspect 20 to 25 yards wold be the deciding factor for me. We did not have pheasants but friends of mine did and they had good results so your 410 for your son is not a waste of time but rather a good learning tool.