OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Next slam: 16 ga  (Read 6597 times)

Offline HartClemson99

Next slam: 16 ga
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »
Since I've finished up Grand Slams with my 12, 20, 10, Muzzleloader and 3/4 with my bow, I figured the next step was the 16 ga Grand Slam!  Put money down on a NIB 870 Express Youth model in 16 ga.  I'm going to look at getting a new stock, getting it drilled and tapped, dipped, seeing if Rhino will build me a choke and I plan on shooting either Hevi-Shot or Nitros!  More details and pics to come as I work on this project.

This makes turkey gun #12 for me!
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

Offline HartClemson99

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:29:19 PM »
I found a youth model 870 on Gunbroker, picked up a Shur-Shot stock and had Nitro build me some Hevi-Shot straight #7s.  Next up a dip job and hopefully a Sumtoy choke.  It should be ready for FL next month!
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

Offline HartClemson99

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
Got her finished!  Got her set up with a Shur Shot Stock, a Timney trigger set for 3lbs, an EOTech on top of a Mesa Tactical rail and a special thanks to Willi at Sumtoy for building me a 16 ga choke!  Attached is my pattern with my Hevi Shot custom "Magnum Blend"

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
Re: Next slam: 16 ga
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
That is one nice looking rig!!!

It looks like it is ready to go hunting!

Offline HartClemson99

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »

Got the first leg of the 16ga slam done last night.  I shot this bird last night near Okeechobee, FL hunting with my good buddy Mike Tussey of Osceola Outdoors. 20.8lbs, 9 1/4" beard, 1 1/8" spurs!

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:06:41 PM »
Very nice gun. Great start on slam!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline KYStalker

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »
Love the gun.
If you're not first, your last!!

Offline HartClemson99

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
Added a SC eastern to the tally this morning:

Offline HartClemson99

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:28:14 PM »
Added a 22.85lb, 11" beard OH eastern to the 16ga resume:

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 05:54:42 AM »
Nice looking rig and great results.  How much shot in the load? Gil

Offline HartClemson99

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.  The shot I am using is 1 1/4.

Offline HartClemson99

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »
Although I struck out on my single season 16ga slam (I struck out in TX and NE) for rios, I got 3 out of 4 and ended the season getting a nice bird in Wyoming as seen in the picture below.  I took birds in FL, SC, OH and MT with the gun.  I'll be chasing a rio next spring with it in '14 to hopfully finish it's slam.  I might do some investigating this off season with TSS in the 16 gauge as the gun is a PLEASURE to shoot and the 2 3/4" shells have hardly any recoil!

Not sure what is next....Maybe a 410 or 28 ga will be with me in Florida next March....