OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

doubled up

Started by strutnrut, October 24, 2012, 01:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnrut

The morning started out slow was overcast and no birds talking. We just couldn't seem to find them. After the second setup my buddy had to leave and I went to check out a different section. On the third setup, I was talking to one of my other buddies and I heard a cluck. Got off of the phone and left the vest in the truck and grabbed a couple of boxes. A high pitched Holly and Desert Ironwood and mature hen Apricot and Macassar Ebony hen box.
I hadn't been in this part of the woods in a long time and boy the woods had really opened up a lot in the past few years. I knew I couldn't go far or would get busted if that was a cluck that I heard. I find a tree and get comfortable, give a kee kee and some yelps Holly box and nothing. I hit the mature hen box and nothing. I kee kee and yelp on the Holly and hit some deeper mature hen yelps with that  Apricot box and the woods just lights up with turkey talk.
I'm not sure how many but a nice flock for sure. I start keeing and yelping matching their calls, then I hear them coming hard just a running. They get about 50 yards right on the edge of the thicker stuff and the open woods and they locked up and go to looking hard looking. They know that hen should be right there but can't see one. I can't move and no Trumpet so I just kind of rake leaves with my foot and one steps out from behind this thick stuff and that was enough and I rolled it. The rest start running around clucking and putting. I switch over on another one rolled it up to. They start running around trying to figure out what just happened and I pickup the Holly box an start in keeing and yelping. The birds are going crazy running in and out of the clearing. I ended up messed with the other for about 30 minutes. They finally get tired of talking to me and just shut up. It was a great day hunting.   Hope you enjoy the story.

fallhnt

Congrats on a good hunt...what state were you hunting in?
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

strutnrut

I do most all of my Fall and Winter hunting on Fort Campbell, Ky. I live on the TN. side of post. Great hunting area.

Turkey Beard

No question on what's for Thanksgiving dinner at YOUR place! Congrats!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

tomstopper

Congrats.. Job well done X2...

outdoors

:OGani:    That had too be a GREAT. Day , congradulation . . . . . .
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

land cruiser

Great story and superb hunt. Thanks for sharing!

trkehunr93

silverspur

Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Duke0002

Congrats on a super hunt and a nice brace of birds!

gob09

Cool story contract

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

jbrown

Congrats on your hunt!

Wingboneman

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase