turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Refinishing a shotgun with paint

Started by Crappiepro, March 02, 2011, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

Hey Guys, Im working on an older 870 that has a parkerized finish thats thin and shinning in spots. Ive been thinking of painting it with a do-it yourself kit. Anyone know of a good set-up to use? I dont have acess to an oven so baking wont be an option. Thanks for any info, Brad

southernfly

Skeeterbait

I have painted some aluminum parts with alumahyde.  It takes forever to cure but it is some tough stuff once it does.  Degrease and warm the part first and warm the can in warm water before spraying.

Wycliff

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Crappiepro on March 02, 2011, 06:15:33 PM
Hey Guys, Im working on an older 870 that has a parkerized finish thats thin and shinning in spots. Ive been thinking of painting it with a do-it yourself kit. Anyone know of a good set-up to use? I dont have acess to an oven so baking wont be an option. Thanks for any info, Brad

I've painted a number of guns over the years and as with all painting, the "secret" is in the preparation.

I strip everything down, stuff the receiver, muzzle and breach of the barrel with paper towels. I remove the recoil pad as well and protect the beads or remove them.

I clean everything with paint thinner and make sure I wear gloves so that oil from my hands does not contaminate the surface.

I used to prime with automotive gray primer but since the introduction of Krylon "Fusion" paint, I don't do that. That paint was developed to bond to plastic but it works equally well on metal and wood.

I spray very lightly with a light color, use some sticks, and leaves as stencils and spray with a couple of colors of darker paint.

Just as preparation is the "secret" so is taking your time and letting each coat of paint dry, as the can says, between coats.

I do not put a clear coat over the finished product. Again I used to do that but have found it to be unnecessary and it will also cause some shine, even the matte type.

One last caution. It's really necessary to use the same brand and type of paint for each "layer" or camo. The Krylon "Fusion" is the best I've found.

Good luck with your project. It's a lot of fun and you end up with a gun that is not like any other, individually yours.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

wisconsinteacher

Check out DuarCoat.  I plan on doing mine after season.  No oven needed and everything needed comes in the new spray on kit for 30 + SH.  They have a million colors also.

Reloader

I've painted several.  I'll be switching to AHII on the next.

A post from last year:
Been out in the shop all day working on a project....

My cousin gave me his old 870 that he?d killed several turkeys with years ago as well as a pile of ducks.  He wanted to know if I could make a good turkey rig out of it for him to use as a back-up to his newer 870SM Sure Shot.  I said sure and thus leads us to project ?Pimp my 870???

1st a pic of the beater in it?s original condition:

I started this morning by removing the tape and completely disassembling the gun.  Note the rust and residue from the tape:

I used stripper to remove the residue, cleaned with alcohol, then steel wool and another wipe down with alcohol.  I then cleaned every internal part with powder blaster. There were nics here and there I smoothed out with a dremel.  The rib was bent between the posts in one spot, so I straightened it as well. The bead looked like it had a battle with concrete, so I rounded it back off.  Now it was time to start pimping......

Time to prime(3 coats):

Painted the trigger guard, bolt, and mag cap matte blck(3 coats):

The rest involved mix and match parts from another gun that had been tricked out as well.

B Square mount before:

B-Square after a diet:

Polish the bbl:

Tiger stripe:

Turkey tracks, something Deacon and I were chatting about a while back and I figured it would go nicely with this rig and give it a unique look:

Clear coated everything and assembled.

Bsqaure after finish:

Bsqaure after finish:

Rem TH stock and fore arm with a Sims LS recoil pad:

Also added a Nikon 2-7x32 Shotgun scope and a Kick?s GT 665.  Here?s the finished product:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase