OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall Opener in WV  (Read 4895 times)

Offline 870BkWht

• The Boss Gobbler
  • West Virginia
Fall Opener in WV
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
Only a few more days until Opening day for Fall Turkey season in WV.  In part of my excitement, I was wondering if we had and WV fellows heading out?  Anyone elses season going to be opening soon?

Offline Turkey Beard

Re: Fall Opener in WV
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »
Good luck to you!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Offline DaveFroggin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »
Here in Iowa bow season has been going on for a week. Shotgun starts on the 15th. I cant wait to get out there and try to get my first turkey!

Offline thundrchikin

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:55:07 PM »
Yep I'll be there dog in tow, can't wait! :happy0064:

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »
Good luck. Here in NY our season starts om Oct 20th & if I can get my back to hold up I will be chasing them. I have killed almost as many gobblers in the spring as in the fall. I love fall hunting and you who are trying it this year, good luck and have fun.

Offline KYFrid

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »
I will be out for the fall opener with my brother. Can't wait! I get just as excited for fall season as I do the spring anymore.  :funnyturkey:

Offline 870BkWht

• The Boss Gobbler
  • West Virginia
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:00:21 PM »
Well the opening day of Fall Turkey season in the southern part of WV was a fantastic day to be outside, but no birds were taken.  I joined my father and my brother in law on a piece of public land called the Bluestone Wildlife Management Area.  Not another soul seen other than fisherman on the large namesake lake of the WMA.  I did make contact with a bird at daylight, but never could get a bead on where it was headed, saw lots of semi fresh scratching, and made contact with a group of birds around afternoon, but couldnt get ahead of them.  All in all a great day to be in the woods making turkey noises and time well spent with my family.  Heading back to my home in Northern WV where I have had much more luck in the past.

Anyone else in WV or any other state had any luck or made it out yet?

Offline KYFrid

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
We hunted Chief Cornstalk WMA, saw a few other trucks parked on the place but I believe they were mostly deer hunters. Found a good place with alot of good sign but never made contact with any birds. Tomorrow we'll be back at it again, this time in Putnam Co where i've seen birds in the fall.  Good luck to everyone goin out in the morning.

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 09:33:32 PM »
There used to be tons of birds in Putnam, we had a little early season mallard hole over that way. Everybody and their brother hunts over there now. Cornstalk used to get some pressure to. Man I miss coming up to them big ol mountains. Good luck fellas.
Georgia Boy