OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tru Glo Gobble Stopper or Strut Stopper Extreme?  (Read 5767 times)

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Tru Glo Gobble Stopper or Strut Stopper Extreme?
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:46:43 PM »
today i went to the gander mountain in ashland va. They were having a going out of business sale... everything shooting related was marked at ninety percent off. I Purchased an alleged gobble stopper combo with fiber optic sights for 2.49. the choke doesnt resemble any gobble stopper choke i have seen. this choke has vertical lines all the way around it. the port holes are all at the end of the tube. Did i get lucky and get the ssx choke for 2.49. This is for my invector choked A-5 and also to try in my 535

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
Re: Tru Glo Gobble Stopper or Strut Stopper Extreme?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
today i went to the gander mountain in ashland va. They were having a going out of business sale... everything shooting related was marked at ninety percent off. I Purchased an alleged gobble stopper combo with fiber optic sights for 2.49. the choke doesnt resemble any gobble stopper choke i have seen. this choke has vertical lines all the way around it. the port holes are all at the end of the tube. Did i get lucky and get the ssx choke for 2.49. This is for my invector choked A-5 and also to try in my 535

Congratulations! You did. You hit the jackpot on that one. There were some chokes that were packaged improperly, not many but apparently you found one of them. I'd recommend that you deep clean the bore and then enjoy your find.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »
Thats awesome!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
some people have all the luck

congrats on your deal
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »
what load do yall recommend starting with out of this ssx. im thinking sixes in the .665 constriction. but i have never messed with htl loads.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
what load do yall recommend starting with out of this ssx. im thinking sixes in the .665 constriction. but i have never messed with htl loads.

The SSX has an exit diameter of .643 and works best with shells with #6 or #7 shot. I would recommend 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot.

It is important to thoroughly clean that choke with the same "deep cleaning" procedure as you'd use on your bore. You will also find that it patterns better the more it is shot. I usually recommend that after it's deep cleaned, you shoot some (a box is good) of 2.75" inexpensive shells through the choke. It responds very well to this break-in procedure. After you've shot it, then just clean it with some solvent and you're ready to go to the range and pattern it. Have fun and enjoy your bargain.

Thanks,
Clark

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 11:42:52 PM »
Thanks Clark, i thought the smaller shot would work better in that choke, but i will have to wait till next weekend to shoot it. get it deep cleaned one night and have it ready for saturday morning. that way i can shoot it before it gets to hot

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »
Thanks Clark, i thought the smaller shot would work better in that choke, but i will have to wait till next weekend to shoot it. get it deep cleaned one night and have it ready for saturday morning. that way i can shoot it before it gets to hot

You're welcome. Please let me know if I can be of any help. You made a great find.

Thanks,
Clark

Offline TrophyTracker

• Everyone's a Pro from the sidelines..
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 11:17:57 PM »
I have seen a couple of those mixed up packages at GM. The SSX is a really great tube. I have had a lot of luck with them and #6's as well as #7's as well.

Great find!
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl