OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 20 gauge single-shot project gun  (Read 80057 times)

Offline gatrkyhntr70

• Double Beard
Re: 20 gauge single-shot project gun
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2015, 02:59:14 PM »
 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2015, 08:24:47 AM »
Yes, I know this is the 20 gauge site, but I’ve been detailing my 20 gauge Baikal projects simultaneously with the .410 and the .410 forum is buried and gets very little traffic.  So, sue me. ;)
After the 2015 spring season, I sent my Yildiz .410 to Mark Larson in Tacoma, Washington, to paint a strutter on the gun stock.  Mark has repaired and restored stocks on three of my side by sides and is a skilled artist as well.  www.marklarsongunart.com   Here’s what he did on the stock.

At the same time, I sent my barrel to Mike Orlen to thread the barrel for a .410 choke.  William Lambert at Sumtoy can “sleeve” a choke into a .410, and he has done so on a gun I had made up for a buddy.  The sleeved choke he made was and still is an incredible performer.  I wanted to shorten the barrel and see if a flush mounted choke would work and have flexibility with other chokes.  The flush mounted choke was woefully inadequate.  I knew all along that a Sumtoy choke would be the ultimate solution and I wasn’t disappointed.
I picked up my Sumtoy choke from William yesterday and re-zeroed the FF3 and patterned two rounds of TSS 9’s, 367/ oz. count, with 13/16 oz. loads.  To recap, I had Mike Orlen cut the barrel to 24” and thread.  First shot was barely on the paper—129 in the 10” and 117 in the 10-20” ring, but not all the pattern was on the paper.  Next shot, 123 in the 10 and 120 in the 10-20”, both shots at 40 yards.  The screw-in choke is 3.5” long.  William doesn’t have the die to thread .410, but Orlen does.  Contact both Orlen and Sumtoy for costs.  The gun before modification was a very good shooter with a high of 110  in the 10” at 40.  Orlen trimmed 4” off the 28” barrel.  Sumtoy’s choke extends 1” for an overall length of 25”.  It is noticeably more compact.  Pretty is as pretty does…

Offline Kates

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Very nice!

Offline longislandloco

« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2015, 08:46:38 AM »
Very nice setup, always had a soft spot for a nice single shot.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

Offline Hayudog

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »
Another great looking gun Gil. Glad to see the old thread resurrected. 

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
 Further tinkerin’ with loads has shown this one to be even better than before.  RMC (Rocky Mountain Cartridge) brass hulls.  Remington PSTS primer put 159 TSS9.5  13/16 oz.  in the 10” ring at 40 yards.  The Win 209, 133. 

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
She turned out great! :icon_thumright: . Patterns aren't too had either, for a 12ga, but for a 410 that's amazing!Talk about a lightweight turkey killing machine.

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »
Update on project gun.  I first hunted the gun in spring of 2013.  In the spring of 2015 I gave it an old buddy as a retirement present.  He has hunted it hard since 2015 averaging over 50 days a season.  I asked him to send me photos to see how the rattle-can paint has held up over the years.  It has a few worn spots, but nothing major.  Should he decide to touch it up, it will be easy to do with the paint.  Ceracote or Duracoat may be tougher, but its not as easily repaired as the Rustoleum rattle-can paint. 
No amount of money could pry it from his hands.  Or so he says. ;)
Gil

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2021, 02:23:36 PM »
don't see many of those in a twenty gauge

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2021, 02:49:23 PM »
Joe, they occasionally show up on gunbroker rebadged as a Remington SPR 100.  A buddy found one a few months ago as a Baikal 20.  He has it ready for this season.  We'll zero it soon.  Gil

Offline old frank

• Georgia
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2021, 09:30:22 PM »
I am glad to see this thread again too. It inspired me.
Last year I bought a Stevens 301 Compact 20ga.

I gave it a quick rattle can spray using some netting for a pattern. Added a Carlson Longbeard choke, a Fiber Optic front sight and a sling. I patterned it at 30yards with the Longbeard XTR shells.

It was a light dream to carry but the turkeys did not cooperate last season and it remains unbloodied.
My old eyes have trouble even with the FO sight so I have it at a local gunsmith drilling and taping it so I can add an extra Vortex Venom I had on hand.
Georgia season starts in just three weeks so I am anxious to get it back and go to the range!

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
Nice job.  I'd encourage those that are on the fence about Ceracote vs. Duracoat vs. dipping vs. rattle-canning a gun to give serious consideration to the cheapest expense, durability, and ease of repair of a properly prepared, rattle-can painted turkey gun.  Proper preparation of the gun before painting is the key.  Gil