OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 20 gauge single-shot project gun  (Read 79913 times)

Offline gobblergls

20 gauge single-shot project gun
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
Inspired by Gadget's transformed Savage 220A, I have acquired a Savage 220A and will either modifiy it or a Baikal MP18 into a single shot 20 gauge "turkey only" gun with either a camo dipped or painted surface,  recoil pad, red dot, sling, and turkey choke with barrel work.  The more I look at the Savage, the more I can't bring myself to alter it as it is in very good condition.  I am suffering Vandal's remorse.   I don't think I'll get warm fuzzy feelings about the MP18 and it may be the ideal candidate.  Cheaperthandirt has a great price on the MP18 which is available in .410 bore, 20 and 12 gauges.  I have one on order.  I like the idea of a "hammerless" gun.  I will update as progress is made. Here's an earlier thread on 20 gauge single shot turkey guns:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,9329.0.html

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
Re: 20 gauge single-shot project gun
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
We have worked on a lot of the Baikal.   We have did chamber work and chokes to make hunting and target guns.   We have gone all the way to a 1 inch 36 inch long built barrel on them.  It is a good platform to start with.    They make it in a trap gun.  It has longer barrel, vent rib, screw in chokes and is ported.  :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »
William, I'll definitely be in touch.  The Baikal has a  26" barrel and is chambered for 3".  A good deal for $91 and $11 shipped. Gil

Offline Waddle Whacker

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »
How much does that MP18 weigh? It states on Cheaper Than Dirt that it's 9lbs. Is that a misprint? I'm interested in the single shots as well, but not at 9lbs.

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
The 9 lbs. is probably a mistranslation from the Russian.  I was told 5.3 lbs. or less by a man who can read Russian and got info from a Russian forum.  He owns the 12 gauge MP18 and told me his weighed 5.5 lbs.  He added weight for duck hunting.  When it gets in I'll post the weight. Gil

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
Vandal's remorse?  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Waddle Whacker

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
That sounds more like it! Keep us posted on her progress!

Offline USAFTurkey

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
What about the lever for breaking it open?  Looks like it would be in the way and easy to accidentally break the gun open.

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 07:27:08 AM »
The lever is not conventional, but it takes more than a tap to break the gun open.  I don't see it being in the way with the gun across a knee,  making a shot or any more obtrusive than a red dot sight or scope in carrying it in the woods with or without a sling.  I considered a hammer gun, but there are issues with an exposed hammer, cocked and uncocked, that folks seem to work around okay.

Offline killdee

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
I'm interested in the weight myself, I may build me up 1 of them after I hear a few reports from you guys. That would be a nice light tote for some of the public lands I hunt. How about a review when you get it as to the overall quality of a 100$ shotgun and a pattern or two. I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:55:25 PM by killdee »

Offline killdee

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »
Also I guess you have to get it threaded for a choke also?

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »
Yes, turkey choke will be installed.  I hope to have the "before" photos up this weekend.  The Baikal is set for delivery tomorrow.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 06:34:58 PM »
Post it up, I'd like to see it as well  :anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 08:37:30 AM »
What about the lever for breaking it open?  Looks like it would be in the way and easy to accidentally break the gun open.

The TC Encore opens pretty much the same way with its combination release/trigger guard mechanism.  The TC's actually extends out more than the Baikal's.  I haven't read any problems with it releasing accidentally.  In fact, the only complaint I've read about the TC Encore is its cost.  ;)

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
Also I guess you have to get it threaded for a choke also?

Is it not a screw in choke threaded for the Tru-choke pattern?