OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2012 WV State Turkey Calling Competition - good, full length video now working  (Read 7884 times)

Offline sugarray

• Paintbrush Beard
This was my first ever event.  I scored last, and even the 12 yo kid beat me.  But, I am ready to go again.

I am caller number 8, and Ted Cramer is there too.  He was 2nd overall.

Any and all comments and criticisms appreciated!!  THIS IS THE GOOD/NEW LINK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRDz2BVx6X4
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:03:43 PM by sugarray »

Offline OLE RASPY

• Paintbrush Beard
  • KENTUCKY
Re: 2012 WV State Turkey Calling Competition
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
Unless im missing something the video stopped at caller number 5.

Offline sugarray

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:33:19 PM »
I am really starting to hate YouTube.  I'll try again!!

Offline sugarray

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »
I deleted this one and bought a new editing program and now have the whole Senior division uploading

Offline sugarray

• Paintbrush Beard
try it now!!

Offline Devastator

• Longbeard
keep at man,the hardest thing for me would be what you have already acheived,getting on stage.

Offline wvcurlytop

:thanks: Thanks for posting the video, as I really enjoyed it...

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Thanks for posting this Ray.  I thought you did great for your first contest.  To me, your best call was the cutting sequence, and I thought you did that quite well.    Getting into calling contests is a great way to "fast track" to becoming the best caller you can be.  Not only does it make you keep working at improving your calling, but you get to see the very best callers in action and learn all of their tricks and techniques. 

It amazes me at how many really good callers there are in these contests.  Some of the middle-of-the-road contest callers nowadays could have competed at the Grand Nationals twenty or thirty years ago.  Calling has come a long ways and there are lots of great callers around now.  Of course, the calling devices are constantly improving, as well as the number of people that are really making an effort at getting good with those calls. 

One other comment regarding calling contests, the thing that strikes me about contests nowadays is that the callers have outgrown the contest system we have in place.  The best callers are so good that the judging has now become entirely subjective.  To me, the only way to overcome that situation is either for the format to be changed entirely, or for the calling requirements to become more complex and/or elaborate.  I don't think you can distinguish calling ability anymore by simply asking callers to replicate the "plain yelp of a hen" anymore,...just because every good contest-level caller can do that to perfection.   Having call requirements like that in these contests is just a waste of time.
...Just my opinion....

Offline T-Dub

Great video. Keep at it!

Offline scoot12

• Longbeard
Congrats on entering your first contest,  I have been in three now and each one gets a little better.  I am still shaking when I get on stage.  I thought it would be easy to get up there and just call but its nerve wrecking.  Keep at it,  its a lot of fun even with the nerves.  Scoot

Offline WillowRidgeCalls

• Double Beard
    • WillowRidgeCalls.com
Stay with it, and you'll get the hang of it. One thing is, if your used to using one type of call, stick with it, because you can run that style of call a lot easier, it may not be the best sounding call, but you can run it a lot better. If you have to consintrate a lot on the call your running, you've beaten yourself before you even start. When you first get on stage everything leaves your mind except the crowd and you'll forget what it was you were suppose to do to make that call sound right. Stick with calls you can run in your sleep, and you'll do a lot better.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Offline Frankinthelaurels

It's working fine....nice and clear video pics and sound.