turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box call finish

Started by a-j calls, February 28, 2011, 03:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a-j calls

Can I get an opinions on using tung oil for a box call finish?

I want to try and stay away from spraying them or brushing them with any type of poly if i can.

MarkJM

Hey andy, I have used this finish on wooden toys, pictures frames, and stuff like that. It is reallly nice and I think it would look great as a finish for your box call. here is a guy showing you how to apply it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqKzUGkiue0
MuellerCustomCalls

Cut*N*Run

I'm not a big fan of pure oil finishes. Pure Tung oil and BLO are essentially the same and neither is super durable. I used to use pure tung oil as a finish, but the calls I made just never had that "finished" look to them. I don't like a heavy poly look, but I do want a finish that has some amount of "pop" to it.

For the past couple of years, I've used a 1:1:1 BLO/turpentine/spar urethane finish and I've been very happy with it. You can apply it with a cloth as you would BLO or tung, but it builds quicker and provides more protection.

Something I've learned that some people already know and I'm sure some others don't- most of the finishes labeled "tung oil finish" are actually oil/varnish blends and may not contain tung oil in them at all.

a-j calls

thanks fellows, i don't like the idea of the wood soaking and soaking the oil in. not sure what i'll do..

Spring Creek Calls

I use tung oil on my boxes. I found out how water resistant it is by using it on our antique dressers that we turned into sink cabinets. A couple coats lasts for years. I prefer the natural wood look to the shine. As stated above, we all have our preferences and opinions on what we want our calls to look like in the finished product.  

:z-paddy-smiley113:
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

a-j calls

pappy

I'm with AJ on this, I have been usinf a poly coat on my boxes, but I am wanting to go with something less shiny and more duarble. I am swaying more towards a mix, but I need more info before I go and mess up some more boxes. Any instructionals out there you think?
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: pappy on March 02, 2011, 06:41:03 PM
I'm with AJ on this, I have been usinf a poly coat on my boxes, but I am wanting to go with something less shiny and more duarble. I am swaying more towards a mix, but I need more info before I go and mess up some more boxes. Any instructionals out there you think?

Try this:

http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish7.shtml

About 3/4 of the way down, he has a section on the mix that he uses.

Crutch

Pappy, A-J, either of these might be benificial in a mix or stand alone.

Linseed oil is a "drying oil" as it can polymerize into a solid form. Due to its polymer-forming properties, linseed oil is used on its own or blended with other oils, resins, and solvents as an impregnator and varnish in wood finishing, as a pigment binder in oil paints, as a plasticizer and hardener in putty and in the manufacture of linoleum.

Danish oil is a wood finishing oil, made of either Tung oil or Polymerized Linseed oil.

Danish oil is a hard drying oil which provides a tough, water-resistant finish. It can be used as a finish, or as a primer or sealer on bare wood before applying paint or varnish.

When used, Danish oil provides a satin finish and provides coverage of approx 12.5 sq. m/l (600 sq. ft./gallon) and is usually applied over a course of three coats by brush or cloth, leaving around 6-24 hours between coats, depending on the mixture being used and the wood being treated.

Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

a-j calls

Thanks crutch, sound like a good way to go..

JThomas

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on February 28, 2011, 04:27:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of pure oil finishes. Pure Tung oil and BLO are essentially the same and neither is super durable. I used to use pure tung oil as a finish, but the calls I made just never had that "finished" look to them. I don't like a heavy poly look, but I do want a finish that has some amount of "pop" to it.

For the past couple of years, I've used a 1:1:1 BLO/turpentine/spar urethane finish and I've been very happy with it. You can apply it with a cloth as you would BLO or tung, but it builds quicker and provides more protection.

Something I've learned that some people already know and I'm sure some others don't- most of the finishes labeled "tung oil finish" are actually oil/varnish blends and may not contain tung oil in them at all.
I use this mix also 1x1x1  BLO/turpentine/spar urethane finish plus a touch of japan drier into it. It is what I use on some flintlock guns and held up in many different climate situations on scouts and such over the years with good results..ONLY mix what you will use up. I do several boxes at a time or pots ect..

handcannon

I used Formby's Tung Oil for a long time on box calls and had good results out of it. The first coat will soak in the wood pretty good and the next coat gave a good hard finish. I really liked how the tung oil would give a golden tint to lighter colored woods like tiger maple.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: handcannon on March 13, 2011, 06:50:48 PM
I used Formby's Tung Oil for a long time on box calls and had good results out of it. The first coat will soak in the wood pretty good and the next coat gave a good hard finish. I really liked how the tung oil would give a golden tint to lighter colored woods like tiger maple.

:z-winnersmiley:
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com