turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I think I'm gonna try it

Started by eddie234, May 20, 2012, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie234

I just feel like I left something in the woods this spring, I think I'm going to give fall hunting a try this year. I'll be reading this forum in depth, and asking some questions.

Lenny870

Yea you should try it if ya haven't, its a blast and it never hurts to ask questions. There is always different good info out there to learn. Good luck to ya :icon_thumright:

glenhunter

Go for it!!!!! Fall turkey hunting is really great! I love it! :gobble:

gh

Kylongspur88

Its fun. Birds are very vocal and its a great time to hear birds and do a lot of calling. For me its a lot more running and gunning than spring. I went back to an old honeyhole today in KY to scout deer and turkey. Found a ridge with pretty decent mast despite how dry it is. I'll be there in October chasing birds.

tomstopper

Fall turkey hunting to me is just as addicting as spring gobbler. Its beautiful in the woods and there is exciting when you bust up a flock and then call them back. I love it and cant wait for fall to come. Good luck and have fun this fall.

captin_hook

Yepper.. fall is a blast. It's cool, no bugs, and tons of fun. Put em to bed and bust em off the roost about a hour before they go up. Go to the same spot in the morning and have a seat in the dark and get ready to have some fun. You can run and gun, or just sit and call. The fall has many more options.

timberjack86

Yep I am ready for some fall hunting!

Turkey Beard

It's been since 2005 that I've fall turkey hunted but I almost bought a tag last year due to being able to pattern the turkeys below the house. Yesterday morning it was too much, there were turkeys east of my house, across the road in the draw again. This draw runs from the SW downhill to the NE. I got my tag and vowed not to let it happen again. This morning I didn't see turkeys down there as I left for the office but when Neal, one of the guys I work with, came in he said that he'd seen 4 or 5. I knew that this meant that the hens, including "Gimpy," were down there. Gimpy is a hen that has a horrible limp when she walks and I figured that my father-in-law wouldn't mind if I shot her (he doesn't like gun hunting there... too close to town). Well, I followed the plan that I'd made yesterday: drive south to a church's parking lot where I'd have a ridge between me and the draw (where the turkeys AND deer seem to hang out), head on east, then buttonhook back to the north into the woods that are east of the turkeys and work my way back to the edge of the tree line so that I'd be east (and south-uphill) of the turkeys. It went exactly as planned. I got almost to a tree to set up when I thought I saw one so I scooched down then eased to the tree. A little time went by and I eased to a tree even closer to the tree line. I was using a Wicked Lady glass call by 1UP along with 2 mouth calls: A Three Gumodies Premium and a Turkey Beard RIP. I gave them the softest clucks & purrs I could and threw in a few yelps. I believe I heard one series of 3 yelps but not much else. I just kept going periodically and just about the time I wanted to ease up for a look I was a hen flap her wings... and she was headed my way. I was praying that I'd make a good shot, specifically on Gimpy but then said to myself, "Who are you trying to kid... you'll shoot the first legal bird that shows up." Well, 2 turkeys came right at me but there was brush between us. The trailing hen was Gimpy. I eased my gun to the right (the field was in front and to my left) but I thought that the brush was too thick for them to go on into it. Sure enough, they changed course, worked to my left along the field edge and I saw that Gimpy was in the lead. She stepped past a tree and at 15 yards it was all over. I had arrived at my house to change & grab my shotgun at 8:00 a.m. and at 8:41 a.m. I was making a phone call to Chuck Tiranno. By the way, when processing the bird, I found that her femur had been entirely broken in 2 and healed with the broken ends not aligned with each other at all.

1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

captin_hook

tomstopper

Congrats. I love hunting birds in the fall just as much in the spring. Hen, Gobbler, Jake, they all taste the same to me.

870BkWht

Thats awesome man.  I think Fall can be just as exciting as spring time hunting.  Congrats.  How much did she weigh?

Turkey Beard

Thanks everyone! I didn't weigh her but I'd say she was around 12-14 lbs. Pretty average hen... but I'm thankful that I was able to take the gimpy one rather than a healthy one.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

land cruiser

Congratulations on your bird! Good recon pays back;)