OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ready for fall  (Read 6931 times)

Offline thundrchikin

Ready for fall
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
Spring season just ended today here in WV and I'm already for some doggin this fall. Who's with me!!

Offline Lenny870

Re: Ready for fall
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
I'm with ya,can't wait to get back after em. Heck Id hunt em all year long if I could

Offline Ruger M77

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
Cant wait love fall huntin!
I eat therefore I hunt

Offline bigredneck61088

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
same here!! one week after the season i was tinkering with the new sx2 for fall season!! got the bug already

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
Looking forward to fall season myself hear in VA.  Would love to have a turkey dog, been fall huntin since I started 20 years ago and never chased after'em in the fall behind a dog.

Offline thundrchikin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »
Looking forward to fall season myself hear in VA.  Would love to have a turkey dog, been fall huntin since I started 20 years ago and never chased after'em in the fall behind a dog.
What part of VA you in? VA has a very long tradition of doggin, I'm sure you could get hooked up with someone. If you ever get a chance to go you'll probably be hooked so use caution! :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
What part of VA you in? VA has a very long tradition of doggin, I'm sure you could get hooked up with someone. If you ever get a chance to go you'll probably be hooked so use caution! :z-guntootsmiley:

Live in Roanoke, but in my neck of the woods the fall hunters are few and far between.  Just don't know anybody close by that does it.  hopefully i'll connect with someone because I'm sure it is addictive!

Offline earlybird

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
Can't wait for the fall season here in WV myself.I've been huntin them in the fall for 30 yrs and it never gets old.I have never tried them with dogs but i bet that would be a blast.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »
From NY and cant wait for the fall.

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »
I am pretty sure you cannot use a dog in TN. So I just get close to a flock and call them up. Its a blast!

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:57:49 AM »
I am pretty sure you cannot use a dog in TN. So I just get close to a flock and call them up. Its a blast!

I'm pretty sure dogs are legal in TN, you can use them in the spring as well to retrieve birds.  Frank Cox is a big time turkey dogger in TN.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »

I'm updating this as I just got a male chocolate lab that is being trained (hopefully) to bust them up in the fall.  Wish me luck!

Offline crappieangler

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:21:03 PM »
I've had my 2 yr old lab get after some on walks in the looking for morels both springs, so I think I'm going to have to give it a shot as well.  What type of material do you guys use to cover up a dog after busting a flock up?  I was thinking burlap or maybe some of that 3D camo material?  He listens pretty well most times, but sometimes the excitedment gets the best of him so we'll see how it turns out.

I'm just planning to walk and let him run like usual and then just set up if he scatters them.  Is it that simple or does anyone have any other specific things they do or look for when hunting behind a dog?

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »

I'm pretty sure dogs are legal in TN, you can use them in the spring as well to retrieve birds.  Frank Cox is a big time turkey dogger in TN.
You are right they are legal.I checked with twra and they said legal!

Offline glenhunter

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 02:05:59 AM »
I'm getting ready.............just bought some ammo, got a couple of new decoys, checked my ground blind and calls and switched over from my deer shotgun barrel to my turkey barrel. :camohat:

I know it's mid summer but I can hardly wait for the fall season!

gh