OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

......is this a good hnting pattern

Started by chaz_Z7, May 10, 2012, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaz_Z7

remington 870 sm
3 inch hevi 6s
40yds lasered
217 in the 10
140 in the 20

ic 665

captin_hook

hunter-b

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Grunt-N-Gobble

davisd9

I would hunt with it for certain!!!   :icon_thumright:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chaz_Z7

thanks guys...i really like it and man those hevi 6s hit hard

chaz_Z7

hey guys im not sticking with this ..i shot it a couple more times and the gaps in the 20 kept getting bigger and not very consistant...the pattern was dense but very oblonged not even at all...

TauntoHawk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

noggin buster

beagler

Never Misses

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Frankly, I think all this 20" talk is absurd.  Is the objective to shrapnel the birds entire body with shot or shoot it in the face?

Furthermore, simple mathematics dictate that the more dense your pattern is within the 10", the less coverage you achieve in the outer 10" concentric ring.

I'd much prefer higher pellet counts in the 10" in the event that my shot string encounters brush/debris between myself and the turkey to sacrificing those numbers for diminishing returns by shooting a more open 20" pattern.

HuntSource

First, I perceive the posted pattern is just fine albeit a touch center dense for my interests. I'd hunt it with a fair measure of confidence though. It's vastly superior than anything we had available a decade ago.

Even so, the OP noted that subsequent patterns showed more profound inconsistency in the 20". I've found to be typical of combinations where percentage in the 10" is very high. I've also found that generally, although not always, POA/POI can vary more shot-to-shot from combinations that deliver more open patterns. In short, there's a fine line between a maximized pattern and a blown pattern.

This brings me why I prefer a moderately dense core with evenness in the 15" and 20". Shotguns aren't rifles. Even with the best gun/load/choke combinations, the POI can vary from POA by several inches at 40yd from shot-to-shot. A 10" wide pattern sounds a plenty at first pass until you consider that fact. If 20" is ratty and uneven, a vertical and horizontal POI shift of only 2" will put the POA on the fringes of the functional pattern.

Then, too, we're not shooting at the heart/lung region of a broadside deer either. A turkey's head/neck is much smaller and is usually moving. Turkey hunting often results in some of the most awkward field shooting conditions as well. That's why, frankly, I think an extreme push for maximizing 10" densities is absurd. I'd much rather give up a few pellets in the 10" to extend the functional width of the pattern to 15+" at 40yd.

I also think trying to brush/debris bust is absurd too. I won't shoot unless I have a clear LOS to the bird's head and neck. There's simply too much risk. Virtually all the misses or woundings I hear/read about involve a bird being further than thought or "having to shoot through stuff" to get him. To be sure, there's generally some brush/debris that has to be dealt with in most turkey hunting situations, but I've never felt the need to take shot where the head and neck were largely obscured.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 13, 2012, 09:56:00 AM
Frankly, I think all this 20" talk is absurd.  Is the objective to shrapnel the birds entire body with shot or shoot it in the face?

Furthermore, simple mathematics dictate that the more dense your pattern is within the 10", the less coverage you achieve in the outer 10" concentric ring.

I'd much prefer higher pellet counts in the 10" in the event that my shot string encounters brush/debris between myself and the turkey to sacrificing those numbers for diminishing returns by shooting a more open 20" pattern.

Yeppers!

I agree. 

The 10" numbers are what a guy on here has said are the working bees or ants of the pattern. 

learn2hide

It's a very good pattern...as posted but if it's not consistent with what you want there are other great options...Hevi 7's patterned the best in my set up, evenly spaced and plenty of pellets....665 Carlson Tube and WinX2 shotgun, I had to adjust my sight a bit but it's a bird crusher...agree with the others, worrying about patterns on paper and shooting through brush doesn't really make sense, too many variables
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!