OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: NWTF Winchester Super X2 and Carlson Ported .665  (Read 8649 times)

Offline learn2hide

• Check out www.hunterslink.com "The Break TV" on f
    • HuntersLink and The Break
NWTF Winchester Super X2 and Carlson Ported .665
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:06:31 PM »
Hey everyone, first post here...patterned my new gun before season and realized I needed to adjust POA a bit but sights on this gun weren't adjustable.  All  12" 40 yard patterns were pretty good but a little high 218 pellets with Hevi 7's and 148 with Hevi 5's(rather be low than high). Season was around the corner so I had to go ahead and hunt. While I went 2 shots/2 quick kills on nice gobblers I hit them both high as well because I shot normally with a high pattern. I killed the gobblers with 7's at 33 yds and 5's at 38 yds...my first shot pre-season with the 6's on paper produced only a few pellets in 12" maybe 50 weren't really any high or low either, either had a bad shell or made worst shot of my life.  Gave them another try today. . .and did much better with 157 in 12".  I am satisfied with these legitimate killing patterns at 40 yards but I could either keep or return the Carlson and get something else but I don't want to bounce around if possible.  I devised a way to put some nylon washers under the front sight to lower the pattern and went today and shot again.  POA and POI are now together so I could get a decent idea of what I'm looking at.  I know these aren't jaw dropping numbers and I know I should have shot it at a 30" paper to really see it but for consistency I did the same thing I did preseason, put a 12" target up took solid benchrest aim, counted pellets. I am wondering if anyone has had luck with this particular gun and what type of choke does the best with Hevi 13 3 1/2" 2 1/4oz I'd like to shoot 6 or 7's.    I have looked at Indian Creek Diamond and Trulock Precision Hunter, used to have a Jelly Head that I liked in a previous gun but various constriction options exist. Your thoughts please...thanks
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline GregWinesette

Re: NWTF Winchester Super X2 and Carlson Ported .665
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
Ive got a Super X2 with a 26 inch barrel and shoot a jellyhead 670 that produces good killings patterns to 40 yards with hevi 3 1/2 2 1/4 ounces of #7s

Offline learn2hide

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:32:04 PM »
what kind of counts? just curious I'm trying not to overthink it but I want to get the best performance and stick with it
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline GregWinesette

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »
Just saw i said #7s  meant #6s. Before deep cleaning the barrel i got mid to high 100's and waiting to get the gun back from getting dipped to deep clean it and shoot some more.

Offline learn2hide

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »
I would really like some opinions if people think I should stay with this set up for 6 and 7 Hevi 13 or switch chokes...I'm interested in getting a great 40 yard pattern but I want a little leeway for close shots.  As I said I've looked at Trulock's Precision Hunter and the Indian Creek Diamond Strike but there are so many configurations...any thoughts? Lots of views but not much for comments so far...thanks for the help.

Offline teke

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
Not sure about sx2 as I have sx3. If it was sx3, indian creek .665. :z-winnersmiley:

Offline learn2hide

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:38:45 AM »
@John Doe, thank you for the comment...and advice...the POA was off (hi) when I initially got the gun, figured a way to adjust the sights by placing nylon washers under the front sight before screwing it down...now the POA and POI are the same....I will take blame for the right in the shot considering of all the loads I fired that was the only one that seemed to have a right tilt...

Offline bigredneck61088

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
I am also curious in your results, I just picked up a NWTF SX2 also and am undecided on what load choke to start patterning with, Keep us posted on results!!

Offline Frank_T

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
I have SX2 NWTF with 24" barrel . I shoot a Indian creek .665 and hevi 13 3.5 #7's. When I patterned it the conditions were less than ideal and it thru 260-270 in a 10 in and 470 total in the 20'' at 40 yds . It was nice a nice even pattern also . I posted it in gun pattern pics if you use the search its there . The Indian creeks shoot great with the invector plus bores .
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:51:26 PM by Frank_T »

Offline learn2hide

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
I bought the  Creek .665 today...got to shoot it today...click link to post of new patterns...Cabela's was gracious enough to let me return the Carlson...not surprised their customer service is 2nd to none...had to buy the new choke at Bass Pro because they are the only one in the area that carries them...didn't know  Creek was a MO based company so that's a nice bonus, keep the money at home whenever possible...

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,25940.0.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:24:30 PM by learn2hide »

Offline chrisR

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »
you might try a jelly head in the 24" barrel,, i shoot the hevi 6's with my sx2 with 24" and jelly head and stay above 200 in the 10"