OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A day in the shop with Ryan Bonjour

Started by bird, February 27, 2011, 12:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bird

I had the pleasure of spendin' the mornin' visitin' with my good friend Ryan Bonjour of Cedar Falls, Iowa.  I decided to bring along my camera and show some pics of Ryan's shop and how he goes about making a pot call or a turkey cage as I like to call em'.

Le' Wood

Check out the hunk of burl

Le' Shop

Ryan touchin' up a soundboard or is he trimmin' his finger nails

Takin' a piece of square wood and making it somewhat round for the lathe

Ready to be turn'd

Time to make that piece of wood into a round turkey cage

If you look inside the tube you can see the shavin's being sucked away

A still shot showin' the shavin's flying everywhere

A Bonjour pot takin' shape

Time to make her smooth like a babes' bottom

Measurin' and Markin'

He says "Awe" I say Ice Pick

Gotta have some air holes for them turkeys to breath through

A couple turkey cages of what will become a Bonjour pot call

Doin' a little detail sandin' on the inside of the pot

Ya gotta make sure them turkeys don't get splinters stickin' their heads out them air holes

That concludes this days visit.  Time to go home and get something to eat.

Thanks for lettin' me visit today Ryan

Al

Cut*N*Run

Great post bird! Thanks. It's fun to see someone in the shop.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Bonjour

Thanks for coming over Bird. It was fun, and those pics turned out great. Hope I didn't break your camera on a couple of those pics :TooFunny:  Kind of cool how the camera made captured the chips flying so clearly. Now I just have to finish those cages and throw the surfaces in them for you. Can't wait till it warms up and I can get a chance to do some major cleaning in there, the place is a sty right now.

selinoid44

A sty? :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: Thats not even close to a sty. My shops 10 times worse then that. I thought to myself "man this guy has a clean shop".

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

dreis3

Great post Al.  I've spoke with Ryan on the phone a few times, seems like a great guy, it's great to finally put a face with the name.  Thanks for this post, it's cool to see a great callmaker at work.

-Derick
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

Man, not only do I have shop envy, but major tool envy as well.  Awesome photos of a great callmaker at work.  Thanks Bird. 

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

MarkJM

MuellerCustomCalls

redarrow

That was really cool. I enjoy the how to post. Gotta question though. How is the call blank attached to the sacrificial piece behind the blank ? If screws are used how do you keep from hitting them with the tool when making the sound chamber.

drum817

VERY Cool Bird....I am going up Al's Shop (SS Custom Calls) sometime in the next couple of weeks to hang out.  I'll post some pics too  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Bonjour

Quote from: redarrow on February 28, 2011, 10:38:17 AM
That was really cool. I enjoy the how to post. Gotta question though. How is the call blank attached to the sacrificial piece behind the blank ? If screws are used how do you keep from hitting them with the tool when making the sound chamber.
There is a screw running through the piece of Osage to make it a homemade screw chuck. It only sticks out about 1/2 inch so I very rarely get into it. Close though most of the time.

chatterbox

Very cool, Al!
For those of us that don't know what goes into making those masterpieces, this was a real treat!
Nice work, Ryan! :icon_thumright:

Fox Fire

Good stuff ya'll,  enjoyed it very much, interest'n to see how it comes together.

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

BowBendr

Awesome post Bird. It's cool to see where some of my favorite pots came from.  :you_rock: