turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The 10 gauge advantage?

Started by Fastcat, April 25, 2012, 07:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastcat

I have a bps 10 stalker 24 inch on the way and I have been going through the boards here to see what i can expect out of this setup. After comparing some of the patterns posted here and in the pattern section it appears that the 10 gauge magnum blends are putting nearly 100 more shot inthe ten than the average or better than average 12 gauge 3,5 inch magnum blends.  Also it appears that the 10 gauge magnum blends have a greater amount of the larger shot size than some of the better patterning 12 gauge  blends. This points to a real advantage for the 10 in a factory load.  Has anyone else noticed this? Is this correct?

tomno3

Advantage-YES. If you hand load the advantages are magnified. This is why the 12 bore only comes out for sporting clays now.

OldMarine

I've been shooting a Ithaca Mag 10 since the 70's and I really like mine and I'm sure you'll grow fund of yours when you get used to the weight !  :OGturkeyhead:
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

4nolz2

depends on the gun-my older SP-10 had a hundred less hits with magnum blends than Nitros.Nitros for me.

deadbuck

The pic i just posted yesterday on this forum about the 10 ga magblend was just what you stated, a lot of #6 sized shot and not many 5's or7's. That was the first thing I noticed about it. However, I would not say the 10 is getting 100 or more pellets better than the 12 I have seen.

Fastcat

Earlier patterns posted here where over 300 which is a large advantage.

deadbuck

I saw where somebody posted a 278. Who broke 300?

hunter22

I shoot a BPS 10 gauge with Nitros with an Indian Creek .710 choke and I am way over 300 at 40 yds. I have killed two gobblers with this gun this spring and it simply stomps them. No flop, just dead turkeys.

Fastcat

Gobbler 74 posted 307 with an indian creek 690 and a 298 with a pure gold.

deadbuck

Quote from: hunter22 on May 07, 2012, 06:26:36 PM
I shoot a BPS 10 gauge with Nitros with an Indian Creek .710 choke and I am way over 300 at 40 yds. I have killed two gobblers with this gun this spring and it simply stomps them. No flop, just dead turkeys.
Is that nitro a 4x5x7? What is the shell identifier number from Nitro on the load you shoot

hunter22

I shoot H210s in a 4X5x7 load.