turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

LIGHTWEIGHT 20 ga build

Started by Michigander, April 15, 2012, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbeardbuster

Here are mine.  The bottom one is my daughter's 20ga.  She is now 11yrs old but has taken 4 birds with it in the last 3yrs.  I had a barrel tapped and threaded, switched to the survivor forearm and monte carlo stock and added a Limbsaver pad.  It has a Pure Gold .555 and shoots the Dunn's Hevi 7.5's.  It's a great gun out to 35 yards. 

Michigander

Thats sweet, does she shoot 3" shells or 2 3/4"? How bad does it kick?

mnbeardbuster

It's chambered for either but we shoot 3". It patterns the mag blends nicely as well. The recoil is managable, she's never said anything about. The gun directly above and the 2 at the top are 12's. One is my 13 yr old son's. He and I shoot Win XRHD 3" 6's. With that load it will rock you at the bench, but I really don't notice it in the field.

Michigander

Just got my barrel back from Sumtoy this last week! :blob10:

Had him thread it for chokes, lengthen the forcing cone, and got one of his chokes to go along with it. I've been working 14 hour days all week and yesterday so I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Going to be working crazy hours all this week too, so I probably won't get a chance to shoot it till next weekend.  :'(

Hoping to get the stock burned out this week, but we will see. I'll probaly post up some pictures toward the end of this week.

Michigander

Now that season is just around the corner, I've finally had a little time to work on this again. Here is a list of the things done so far.
1. I drilled and tapped the barrel once I got it back from Sumtoy, and mounted a red dot on it (got it from Wild Spur).

2. I finished drawing up the stock and burned it out of 1/4" 6061 Alum.

3. I also had my buddy machine a couple of Alum. bushings with UHMW plastic inserts for the slides to go into.

4. After talking William at Sumtoy, I decided to port the top of the barrel to cut down on muzzle whip.

5. I then mounted a Sims butt pad to piece of 14 ga. SS that I welded some 1/4" rod slides to. I was surprised how much of a difference there is in the recoil from what it was before. It cut WAY down on muzzle rise and pretty much all you feel in a shove.

Here are some pics.

This is what I started with

Bushings with UHMW inserts

All put together minus the butt pad, cheek rest, and pistol grips.

And lets not forget the most important part, this was at a taped 40 yards with a dirty barrel. It will shoot in the 130's with a clean barrel. l used the two person method to move the retical to the center of the pattern after this shot, so now she is right on!

I still have to finish making the grips and cheek piece (using camo dymoundwood), and give it a paint job.

Chuck1443

Sa-weeeet man , i like it !

redarrow

That is wicked man. I would like to build a .410 for TSS .Been thinking H&R or Rossi. That stock is way cool. Can't wait to see it finished . I may have asked before ,but what part of our state are you from. I live within spitting distance of Metro airport.

Michigander

Finished the grips and cheek rest, now all that is left is to remove them and give the gun a paint job.

Brian Stewart

Some people are so talented that it makes me sick. That thing looks sweet. I believe I would go ahead and patent that idea.
But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

Michigander

Finished the paint job, plan on adding some detail to it including some green, but don't have time right now. I'm heading to PA in the morning to try to kill a bird.

turkeyhunter91

looks great,good luck testing it out, hope you get one

gobblergls

Nice techno-looking gun.  Finished weight?  Gil

Michigander

I'm not sure what the finished weight is yet. I was shooting for 5 lbs, I think it's a litte over that. One thing about it though, it's very well balanced now. I was actually a little surprised.