OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

LIGHTWEIGHT 20 ga build

Started by Michigander, April 15, 2012, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigander

So I want to build a 20 ga that is as lightweight as possible. I'm thinking a single shot such as an H and R, have it threaded for chokes and then build a recoil reducing stock for it. This is going to be a work in progress, as it is simply a concept at this point. Hoping to have something to hunt with next year.

So what does everybody else have for lightweight rigs. I would love to see some pictures and get some ideas. Not really interested in youth 870 or 1187's, I want something lighter.

mightyjoeyoung

H&R Topper Deluxe.  Great gun, already theaded and best of all, it's LIGHT!  A good set of sights or a micro-red dot, a Sims pad and you're golden at about 6 pounds or so...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

gobblergls

What loads do you plan on shooting out of your gun?
Rifle sights or red dot?

The Mossberg 500 Super Bantam according to factory specs weighs 5.25 lbs.  My additions, sling (5.4 ozs.), Trijicon Reflex Sight and Weaver Base (6 ozs.), Uncle Mike's slip-on pad (4.6 ozs), Pure Gold extended choke (1.4 ozs.), Beartooth Comb kit (1.3 ozs.) add another 1 lb, 2.7 ozs.  If factory specs are to be believed, my gun should now weigh 6 lbs. 6.7 ozs.   The scales say another: 6 lbs., 14 ozs.

I could save weight by eliminating the sling and substituting a FFIII for my Trijicon and leaving the LOP at 13".   However, I would sacrifice convenience and recoil reduction for the sake of maybe a half pound.  My 12 gauge rigs similarly tricked-out exceed the SB by 2+ lbs.  There is a difference to be felt in the  hand and carried.  The SB comes with a decent recoil pad.  To increase LOP, I added the Uncle Mike's pad.  I shoot 1 5/8 oz TSS 9s.  The felt recoil is not painful or severe with the double pads.  If you are looking for recoil reduction, the Knoxx Spec Ops is an option, but at a cost of weight.  It increases the weight of my SB to 7 lbs., 7 ozs. 

As far as single shot 20 gauges, the TC Encore is another option, but is fairly pricey in comparison to the Super Bantam.  I can't find the weight specifications, but the 12 gauge version weighs 6.18 lbs.  I saw a 20 gauge camo turkey barrel for sale on Gunbroker for $135 through yesterday.  It's gone.  That was a deal. It comes threaded and choked with rifle sights.  The rifle sights on the Mossberg are not the gun's strong point which is a diplomatic way of saying you can do better than what comes on the gun.  Good luck in your project.

Michigander

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 15, 2012, 06:03:20 PM
H&R Topper Deluxe.  Great gun, already theaded and best of all, it's LIGHT!  A good set of sights or a micro-red dot, a Sims pad and you're golden at about 6 pounds or so...

I was actually thinking about the Topper Deluxe, but I've only seen it with a stainless reciever and I want a bbl thats 21".  I'm hoping to be right at 5 lbs. when it's finished, not sure if this will be posssible but we will see. That being said, it would probably kick the snot out of you being that light. I'm not really worried about myself, my sholder is numb from shooting cases of 3 1/2" steel shot, I'm thinking of a smaller shooter or young hunter.

Thanks for the thoughts guys

mightyjoeyoung

Well then as far as those very young or small, they probably won't be carrying it around too much if at all anyways right?  If that's the case ANY small, fairly light 20 gauge will do with a short barrel, a red dot sight and a good stock/recoil pad.  I just picked up the V-Pod to put on my Little Monster so the youngsters don't have to kill themselves trying to hold up a gun that's even as light as mine is.  It adds front weight and can only serve to keep barrel whip down that much more. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

n2deer

Quote from: slickyboyboo on April 16, 2012, 03:51:31 PM
I have a 24" bbl Charles Daly field hunter pump, and with the IC .555, TruGlo sights, and sling swivels, it doesn't even weigh 5.5 lbs unloaded. It's a pleasure to tote, and it's a repeater.

Now what good is a unloaded gun? :TooFunny:

Michigander

Quote from: slickyboyboo on April 16, 2012, 03:51:31 PM
I have a 24" bbl Charles Daly field hunter pump, and with the IC .555, TruGlo sights, and sling swivels, it doesn't even weigh 5.5 lbs unloaded. It's a pleasure to tote, and it's a repeater.

Wow that is light. How is the recoil? My wife is pretty thin,  and I want her to be able to shoot this rig comfortably.

old frank

I don't know how reliable the numbers are but Remington lists the 870 20ga youth at 6 1/2 lbs. H&R List the 20ga with the tamer stock at 6 lbs so not much difference there.

Michigander

I plan on building my own stock set for it though. Should be able to drop some weight there.

ken613

It's pricey, but the Benelli Ultra Light now comes in 20 ga.  5.2 lbs.

killdee

My 21" 870 with syn, stock, sling, 3 shells in the stock holder is 7# no sights yet.

surehuntsalot

the H&R single shot is going to be your best bet
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gotcha

I have been shooting an Hand R pardner this year in 20 ga.I had the barrel threaded for remchoke,Choate synthetic stock/forend with a krylon paint job.I think it weighs just a tick over 5 #.I love it but the idea of only 1 shell is always in the back of my mind.

Michigander

Thought I would revive this thread.

I found a used Rossi 20 ga. youth model for less than $100. It has a fixed mod. 22" barrel that will be headed to Sumtoy this week. Almost finished designing the butt stock. I'm going to make the skeleton out of 1/4" 6061 Aluminum. Hoping I'll have enough free time to burn it out on the laser this week. Then I'll have some machining and welding to do.

We will se how well it works out in the end. I know that most of this work isn't really necessary, but I like to tinker.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase