OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Magnus Bullhead tuning

Started by Hayudog, April 15, 2012, 02:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Looking for a little help or ideas getting my Magnus Bullheads to be more consistent.

What is happening is I'm having trouble from one arrow to the next with consistency.  I can shoot one arrow to the same spot time after time.  Pick up a second arrow and it will fly 2" right at 15 yards, consistently. 

The arrows are the Victory VForce 300  75-90#.  4" feather fletched.  Full length arrows.   Bow was paper tuned with these arrows.  Mathews Drenalin 70#, backed off to about 63#.  (They were all over the board at 70#).  I glued all the inserts so that all the broadheads when screwed in are alined and look like a "Y".  If you have the top blade face up it hits my sight.
The arrows and broadheads all seem to spin test good.

These type of heads have a lot of blade and I would guess could make planeing (SP?) an issue.  I've never had an issue getting other broadheads to fly correctly.  If you have an idea, I'm ready to try. 

cornfedkiller

Have you tried rotating the nock like 120 degrees..a third of the way around?  Never heard of that problem..Usually the guys that cant get them to fly straight cant get any of them to fly, and vice versa.  All of mine hit the exact same spot, so I dont know what to tell ya?

Bent blades?

Whats your draw length?  Im assuming since you got the victory arrows, you went off of magnus' suggested spine, but I was just thinking if you had a long draw, you maybe need a 200 spine arrow?

Hayudog

I'll try to rotate the nock.  Cock feather will be odd, but I can mark the arrow... Its worth a try.  The broadhead's were new, shot into a pillow.  The one that hit right was new also.  Maybe that will get the thing to either go straight or high/low or who knows hit correct.  Thanks

fallhnt

You may want to go back to your regular hunting arrows and heads.I use Muzzy 4 blades and kill em' dead.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

cornfedkiller

Just realized something when you said the cock vane will be off (which is fine), but do you have them fletched with 3 feathers?  I know Magnus suggests 4 fletches if you are using 4" feathers, or use 5" feathers instead.  I use 4 4" feathers on mine and dont have any issues at all. 

Here is a little video I put together after we were testing ours a while ago.  (Dont mind her second shot - that wasnt the bow/arrow's fault)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqrjPgLV8Ls

Hayudog

WOW- I've had a number of folks tell me that their Bullheads first shots were spot on.  Great video.  Just reinforces that I need to get this worked out.  Like I said, I'm consistent with each arrow, just that each arrow is not consistent.  Its got to be an equipment issue.  No question how they perform on the birds.  One perfect shot, one bird.  Second day, cut neck, but just a real close call for him.   Thanks for the input.

Hayudog

Ok- Went back to the practice line.  The shots that I'm confined to are ten to twelve yards at my turkey spot.  Out of my set of 6 heads and 12 arrows I got to 3 that were hitting the same point of aim at ten yards.  Shot each twice to make sure it was repeatable.  All good, so I thought.

Birds were fired up yesterday.  I could see 3 long beards from across the field.  After they tended their hens they came back.  Hard cutting and fighting purrs had them coming.  I'm watching out the small corner hole in the side of the blind.  At about 75 yards they stop, stand erect and start hard looking.  I was leaving some space now in the calling, but kind of surprised they stopped there.  I looked back at the decoys and there is 2 jakes walking around them.  Quietly they slipped in from the opposite direction.  When the big boys walked in the little guys gave way. 
Now at ten yards, I'm doing leg inspections.   :drool:  ( I never use these things, but this one was spot on) Two have at least 1 1/4"- 1 /1/2" spurs. They are light tan and sharp and curved.  Really nice.  And then there is the first bird to strutt .  When they were walking in he was noticeably bigger in body.  Once they start strutting, I can't tell the difference in body size.  His hooks were great.
All three now are  full strutt.  The two are full blockers for the bigger bird.  Minutes...Finally a little separation, I draw. I do some putts on my diaphragm, No dice.  All still strutting.  Figure I'll put it at the base of his head.  Shot...and a feather pillow.  Shot right behind his head, hit the long feathers. 
Needless to say, I'm disappointed in myself. 

I'm back to the drawing board.  I'll strip the fletching's, try 5" feathers.  Try 4 fletches.  Since I glue my inserts and aline the heads I think I'll shorten the arrows also.   
One last thing could be a form issue shooting from the blind.  Had practiced before and never had an issue with traditional broadheads, but maybe I do with these.

Good news is the bird walked away, just missing feathers.  Hopefully we'll have a return engagement. 
Doug

fallhnt

You really going to keep using those after that. :TrainWreck1:

Hayudog

It's the problem of having to anchor them.  Small piece of land and I can't have them run off with an arrow in 'em.  Even 50 yards puts them over my line on someone else's property that I don't have the ok to hunt.  I won't use them again til I've figured out my problem.  We can use air rifles here in Cali, and have used one on this piece of land.  I'm not a purest yet.

fallhnt

My favorite spot is just above the beard when in strut and facing you. My buddy shot one today that went 8 yrds. He shot it broadside. Looked up the leg and shot the upper third. He also uses Muzzy heads.

bulldog18

Problem I had with bullheads out of my compound was that I was shooting 125 grain bullhead with the arrow from Magnus which was the victory 300's. I had to paper tune with a 125 grain field tip. then broahead tune with a 125 grain broadhead and then sight in with the bullhead. Problem I had was not hitting consistantly with the bullhead on the hanging pillow. I would shoot with an open hand with my Mathews Z7 Extreme. I found out that I had to close my hand on the grip and not hold pressure with the grip. This made all the difference. I also tried them with my longbow and found that I was more consistant hitting the target with them than with my compound.

Hayudog

Closed it out with a 2 blade Rage.  Doug