turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Less expensive HTL loads for muzzleloading shotguns

Started by mnbirdbuster, April 15, 2012, 10:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbirdbuster

Ive recently been toying with Ballistic Products Turkey Ranger wads, all i can say is they throw a heck of a good pattern at 40yds :z-winnersmiley: I bought the unslit wads, and experimented with various slit combos until i found a style the gun likes! 105gr Pyrodex RS, a 1/4" felt op card for shock absorbing during setback, turkey ranger wad full of shot(about 2oz), and two os cards hold it all together! Now that i have a good lead load, im going to try the ITX Turkey Trauma13 in #6! Ordering hevi in bulk is spendy, and theres always a chance that a gun wont like it. Ballistic Products sells a #1.5 sample pack of the ITX TT13 for around $42($54 after shipping)! Its a little steep, but once a gun is dialed in itll be good for the long haul :boon: I believe that the HTL loads are great for most of our muzzleloading guns, as they kill with less velocity than lead pellets of the same size! As most of you know, a slight decrease in velocity, ie small reduction in powder charge, usually will tighten patterns :OGturkeyhead:

The Cohutta Strutter

Very interesting. I've often wondered how the htl shot would pattern and perform in a ML gun. What gun are you shooting and is it choked? What do you think the effective range would be with denser shot? I see this topic is a little dated but feel free to pm me with any results you have. Thanks...
Anybody seen America lately?

dpittman

I use 2 oz hevi #6 in a TPS wad buffered. Patterns are pretty good but the loading process is SLOW.