OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box Call Paddel (HELP)

Started by SinGin, April 13, 2012, 02:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

I was wondering if some one could explain the best grain of wood and best way to make a paddle. I have several boxes made out of ceder, and I have one paddle that makes them all sound great. But when I make a new paddle out of ceder I can't seem to get any of them to sound so good with the boxes. I am all ears with any help on this. Thanks Sam

WillowRidgeCalls

Look at the end of your best paddle, and see which way the grain is running in that paddle, it should be up n down. If it's at an angle the side the grain is running too will sound better. Wood also has a direction of the grain in it, meaning when the tree grew the direction of the grain also grew. If you run a cotton ball up n down the paddle, one way it will slide easy, the other way it grabs onto the wood, you want your screw on the end which it grabs more, that way your fighting the grain as you close the box up. You want as tight of grain as possible on your lids.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

bcc2011

Also a paddle that is harder on the janka scale than your box helps out alot due to the wood being more dense and causing more friction, that is the key to getting the sound walls vibrating which gives you the sound your looking for. Purpleheart and yellowheart go great with your cedar boxes.
Brother Custom Calls

SinGin

I have know idea what the janka scale is but I have been making them a bit more thicker and that seems to help.

I also will try the cotton ball idea, it sounds like that should help also.

Nolehoe

That's good info about the grain direction of the paddle. What about grain direction in' the sides ?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

WillowRidgeCalls

In the box, you want the grain running horizontal, not vertical. You can check and see which way the grain in the wood is running with a cotton ball the same as you do with the paddle, but reverse the direction of it in the box, so when you close the lid it is fighting against the grain in the lid. The call will play so much easier, and sound better. Most people like the looks of a fancy grained wood better, but for sound your better off with as straight and tight grained as possible.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Nolehoe

Thanks WRC, makes sense that the grain in' the paddle and box would be perpendicular. You dont know how many hours I've spent pondering what the best way is.was unsuccessful at figuring it out on my own.

Turkey Call Maker

One thing with box lids, each one is different, and how you prep them makes them sound different too! I use pine rosin instead of chalk.... the more you try, sooner or later you will get the right sounding lid (PS>>  a wild turkey would never win a calling contest)!
Jim

Nolehoe

Started making and using my own resin this year