OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Virginia youth day.....Long beard down!!!  (Read 5309 times)

Offline ken613

Virginia youth day.....Long beard down!!!
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »
For the people here that haven't met her, KD is my oldest daughter. 15 years old. Took her first animal when she was 10 at a hunting preserve. She's taken 2 whitetails also. She's always seemed to like hunting and is an awesome shot for her age. Her first turkey hunt was spring 4 years ago when she missed a long beard at about 30 yards.

On our lease before daylight this morning. We heard about a dozen gobblers at daylight. We took off after the hottest and closest bird. Set up on him. By 0800 or so, he had quit gobbling. Pretty sure hens we heard in that direction cut him off.
It was frosty this morning, so, by 0915 we were back to the truck to warm up. We hung out until 1015. I stepped out of the truck at that point and just caught the tail end of a gobble (wasn't real sure where the bird was). We hustled to get our stuff and struck off down a gas well road.
We'd made it about 100 yards and were getting ready to round a bend so I let go a couple of yelps. Got an immediate response past the gas well that was about 75 yards away.
We made a hasty set up. I could see the gas well cut through the trees, but KD could not. Eventually we could hear a gobbler dragging his wings on the ground, spittin', and drummin'. I could see him through the trees. Also heard at least two hens with him.
They worked off down a holler between us and the gas well. The hens were very vocal and small talked back and forth. I called sparingly, but enough to make sure he didn't lose interest in us and to keep the hens talking. After about 25 min. I could hear one hen working off down the mountain, but I could see the gobbler making his way back toward the gas well cut.
It was then that the remaining hen cut loose with an aggressive series of yelps. I let her have it right back with as much aggression as I could muster. It really upset her. She got louder, faster, and more frequent in her yelping. Then, I saw the gobbler step out into the gas well cut.
I whispered to KD to get ready. I lost sight of the gobbler, but had seen him angle along the road which would bring him around the bend which was about 70 yards away
All was quiet for about 5 min.
Then she whispered, "I see him."
Well I peeped around the tree in front of me. 45 yards away stood a hen. I quickly went through the "don't shoot that turkey" routine. LOL.
Then she whispered, "Dad, there HE is!"
Behind the hen about 15 yards was the gobbler He was in full strut draggin' his wings through the dirt and gravels.
The hen was headed our way to look for the intruder.... knowing better than to call any more, I sat back and watched the show...
After another 5 minutes or so, the hen was at 20 yards and the gobbler was at 25 yards. I whispered, "kill him when you can."
The rest is history...
This is her 1st bird after hunting every youth day for the past 4 years. She's killed a couple of deer, but this bird got her and me all tore up.

Tech. stuff was Remington 11-87 youth 20 ga. shooting factory full choke and Hevi-13 #7's. Shot was 25 yards, he hit the ground and flopped around for a couple of seconds. About 18 lbs. 5/8" spurs. 10 1/8" beard. Woodhaven Real Hen box, Primos Power Crystal and a K&H Sweet Hen.

Here's the pics:

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Virginia youth day.....Long beard down!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »
 :icon_thumright: :fud: :newmascot:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline Mike Honcho

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »
Great hunting story and photo...congrats to both of you.   Sounds like you have a pretty good hunter on your hands there!!!!!  I see more Toms down in her future!!!!

hotrod49er

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »
 :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline jshively

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
Congrats - great hunt and bird.  Sounds like you got a great hunting partner.  I have an 11 year old daughter that shot her first gobbler this past weekend.  It was funny seeing that she was trying to calm me down after the shot.  Excitement doesn't begin to describe the emotion - definitely there was a lot of pride at her accomplishment.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:45 PM »
Way to go!

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
All Right!