OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: CVA Muzzle Loader  (Read 7751 times)

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
CVA Muzzle Loader
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »
Found a CVA Optima 12 gauge in a gun store here for 290. Not knowing a thing about them but would love to get into it. Fair price? High or Low? I didn't look down the barrel but could see through the breech plug so it was clean. The rest of the gun looked clean and taken care of with Camo stocks. Chief.

Offline dpittman

Re: CVA Muzzle Loader
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
Did it have a fixed choke or turkey choke and weaver rail? Is it new or used? I believe CVA stopped making them quite a while ago. I was looking for one of those or a traditions but had no luck finding one. I got a TK2000 and it is quite fun. IF it is used I think that price is high but there is not that many out there so it may be your only chance.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:57:09 PM »
It had a screw in choke and a rail not sure of the make. I'm sure it's used maybe on consignment. I could maybe barter it down. Chief.

Offline dpittman

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »
I am not sure of the choke threading on those but if it is a common one like for winchester/mossberg then there will be a lot of options for turkey chokes unless it is a thread only for CVA. Of course you have to remove the choke to load but no big deal. I would think you could work something up that would rival a modern shotgun. They are fun and frustrating at the same time....Doug

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:19:13 AM »
If they don't come down on the price go with a new Knight TK2000.  Unscrewing that choke every time will get real old real fast.  Before buying my Knight I had looked hard for a used mzl with no success.  Probably why the used ones are still priced like gold.  Good luck.

Offline njdevilsb

• Double Beard
  • New York
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »

Is that the one?  That's my Optima Pro 12 gauge.

I like it and have killed a bird with it loaded with Hevi Shot.  If I were to do it again, I think I would go with the TK2000, mostly for the bigger payload.  I got this gun during the time the Knight was no longer making the TK2000.  I contacted CVA and they told me they had like 4 left at the time, and I believe I paid 300 before shipping.  I was in contact with CVA and read through the manual, and they told me 1 1/4 ounce by VOLUME was the maximum.  I forget how much that came out to in weight, but I'm pretty sure the TK2000 accepts a bigger payload.  I like the gun and will tinker with it some more.  I don't think I'm going to hunt with it this year since I have a new 12 gauge choke to break in and I'm going to give the 20 gauge another run this year.

It has the same thread for chokes as the Mossberg 535 does, which is great for me since that's what my 12 gauge is.  The Invector/Winchoke thread.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »

Is that the one?  That's my Optima Pro 12 gauge.

I like it and have killed a bird with it loaded with Hevi Shot.  If I were to do it again, I think I would go with the TK2000, mostly for the bigger payload.  I got this gun during the time the Knight was no longer making the TK2000.  I contacted CVA and they told me they had like 4 left at the time, and I believe I paid 300 before shipping.  I was in contact with CVA and read through the manual, and they told me 1 1/4 ounce by VOLUME was the maximum.  I forget how much that came out to in weight, but I'm pretty sure the TK2000 accepts a bigger payload.  I like the gun and will tinker with it some more.  I don't think I'm going to hunt with it this year since I have a new 12 gauge choke to break in and I'm going to give the 20 gauge another run this year.

It has the same thread for chokes as the Mossberg 535 does, which is great for me since that's what my 12 gauge is.  The Invector/Winchoke thread.

That look's like it. I've been thinking not to get it and getting the TK2000 but will stop back in and maybe offer them something and see if they will take it. Thank you for all the replies, Chief.