OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey body shots v.s. head shots  (Read 21544 times)

Offline Brandon

Turkey body shots v.s. head shots
« on: April 03, 2012, 05:53:10 PM »
Im not to good at head shots yet with a compound bow,would i still be able to take a bird with only body shots?
I plan to be able to make head shots soon but i just need more time.

But the question is would i be able to take a bird with body shots ,and what is the best poundage on a bow to be able to penatrate the feathers? :thanks:

Offline Cooter

Re: Turkey body shots v.s. head shots
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »
In all actuality the head/neck and the vitals are about the same size. Add in a big cutting diameter broadhead like a Bullhead and you increase your kill zone.

You can kill a turkey with a 40# bow with a well placed shot. I would not suggest using over the top expandables with a low poundage bow.
-}}}--------->

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »
Yes. Broadside shots at the base of the wing with big broadheads are very deadly. Head shots are risky. Shoot all the weight you can comfortably handle. Pass through shots on turkeys are harder than deer in my experience.

Offline Cooter

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »
This should help with shot placement. Remember hit'm high watch them die hit'm low watch them go.

Head shots are no more risky than body shots.imo
-}}}--------->

Offline Brandon

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help,maybe tomorrow i'll be able to bag a bird.
 :funnyturkey:

Offline Fox Fire

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »
As much as ther head moves around I dont think Robin Hood could pull off a head shot  :OGturkeyhead:.

Offline Cooter

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:52:21 AM »
Call me Sir Locksly cause I have done it. Their head doesn't move much when they are strutting or standing still. It moves a lot when they are walking normally but I don't shoot them then didnt  shoot them when they were walking when I was taking body shot either though.

To each their own. I just feel there is less chance of wounding a bird with the head shot.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:13:54 PM by Cooter »
-}}}--------->

Offline boomer

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: Re: Turkey body shots v.s. head shots
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »
Head shots are the only way to go. It's either a dead bird or a miss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Offline beagler

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:17:35 PM »
I like wing butt shots or the "Texas Heart Shot" when aiming at a bird strutting from the rear. Let us know how you make out.
Never Misses

Offline Hayudog

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:21 PM »
The strutting Texas heart shot was my favorite when I was using the traditional broadheads.  It gave a real "spot" to shoot at.  Shot and chased a number of side shot birds.  Watched others do just fine with those shots, just not me. 

Decoy placement, can put the birds in the correct position to shoot.  I use a strutting jake facing towards the blind.  Most of the time the birds come to the front of the decoy and give a good shot.  Hen decoys I face away as the gobblers tend to approach from behind to mount.     Any thoughts???

And I agree with the head and body kill area being about the same size....SMALL.  I've had some trouble with tuning and consistency with the Magnus Bullheads. 

Good luck with your bow.   

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 03:37:45 PM »
I've gotten three birds with the bow and all have been body shots. A head/neck shot would be great but certainly more difficult. I never shot a bird in strut (like the picture above showing vitals) and took a side-shot at the wing butt. You want to hit a turkey high. A perfect shot at a turkey is to have them standing upright and facing away from you...shoot them right in the middle of the back. The lungs are in between the ribs. I'm going to KS next season and will be taking the bow.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
 I've killed 15 gobblers with aelf bow zwickys, the last 13,14 years I shot my own trade points and 4 gobblers with knapped heads. all but 3 have been 15 yards or under.
  Lots of people shoot wing butts. But top of the drium sticks are much better. The heart lungs a little under the wing butt and back a tat above the drum sticks.
  Plus if you take his legs out he can't run orv jump off the ground to fly.
  The TEXAS heart shots my favoret. And the ones I get the most. Because I set up differntly and most people. I set up with my back to the gobbler so he has to go by be.
 You have a great shot his he's foused on whats ahead of him. The drawings alot easyer.
  It's above the drum stick for me.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW IS
 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »
This should help with shot placement. Remember hit'm high watch them die hit'm low watch them go.

Head shots are no more risky than body shots.imo

Cool picture. That does help.

Offline yelpertom

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 06:20:20 AM »
Just above the legs and they cant go anywhere! !!!

Offline Triple B

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »
I go straight up the legs and high on the wing,or above the drumsticks will break the legs as well. Many people make the mistake of shooting to far forward into the breast,which many times will not kill a turkey.All those vitals sit in behind that big breast,sans the head.I have had great results with Slick Trick fixed broadheads.I know the mechanicals work,but I shoot fixed just as a personal preference. The Trick broadhead does some lethal damage.The broadside shot gives you the biggest target,but the spine is also an option,as is the texas heart shot,which is a great one also. Turkeys are tuff birds,but a well placed shot will do the trick