Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Devotional Friday 2/25/2011 "Selflessness"

Started by BOFF, February 25, 2011, 01:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

In today's world, selflessness is not a popular subject, as most of society has "I" ism and focuses on one's self. I too, must confess, and often fall into the trap of being selfish. However, Jesus reminds us in Luke 10:27 what we are to do:

27 He answered, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

When one reads of the above verses, one learns of two parts. First, one must love God. I find this to be quite simple in understanding, as without God, I am incapable of loving others more than myself. I battle selfishness often, and need to be redirected frequently. Without God, I could not love others, the way He intended me to do so, "as yourself", the second part.

In seeking further insight to the above verse, I was reminded of 1Corinthians 13:4-8:

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  8 Love never fails.

I have so much to change. Although I am better than before I met my Lord and Savior Jesus, I still have a LONG way to go, when I read 1Corinthians 13:4-8.

Where are you in your life? I challenge you to re-read 1Corinthians 13:4-8 slowly, methodically, and pick it apart. What areas do you need to work on? What areas are you doing well with? I write this not to belittle ourselves, but as an accountability to each other, including myself.

Father God, thank you for your precious Word. Thank you for your Holy Spirit, and thank you for your love, grace, and forgiveness. Forgive me of my selfishness, my anger, and my lack of attention to those around me who may be hurting, or needing your plan of salvation. We pray for our hearts to be open to change, and our actions to be examples of your love. Help us to have the selflessness of Christ. For it is in Jesus name we ask and claim these things, Amen!!

God Bless,
David B.

Roostem33

Thanks David, That is a great reminder and we all need accountability partners.
Have a Blessed day,
Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

PANYHunter

latimer shedhead

turkey slayer